Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stupid Idea?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM
  • 29 Replies

I was talking with an aunt about my plans for the girl's old clothes. Since we have sooo many little girl clothes from 0-12 months, that both the girls wore and no longer wear I decided a cute idea was to cut the clothes up into squares, and sewing them together to make a quilt/blanket or maybe two, one for each girl. My aunt just about flipped out telling me this was a stupid idea because I was going to be "wasting" the clothes. My response to her was "no, I'm re-purposing them" And then she told me she still thought it was stupid and what if this baby was a girl, I'd have to buy all new. Then I told her how I had set aside multiple outfits ranging from 0-12 months, just incase this baby is a girl.. And she still insisted that I was being dumb for wanting to make blankets with their clothes.

So tell me, what do you think? Is it really a stupid idea?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canthaveboys1
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I think it is wasteful, but a super cute idea!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:44 PM

If that's what you want to do, what does it matter what your Aunt thinks?

I think it's a really cute and sweet idea.  Maybe wait until you know for sure the sex of your baby before doing it though, just in case.  :)

redhead-bedhead
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:46 PM
I like that idea its not like they will be used for cleaning. They will be quilts that you girls may cherish for the rest of their lives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileynMe
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM

I think it's an adorable idea. 

If it were me, I'd wait until I were done having kids or I'd only use the outfits that were too worn/stained to be worn again. Even stained outfits have parts that are clean that could be usable in a blanket. :-) 

wife_army_mommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:48 PM

thats a cute idea..on each square you could put how many times they wore it..

MontanaDestiny
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:50 PM

I think it's a cute idea.  My friend took some of my favorite shirts and dresses of my daughters and made her a quilt out of them, I thought it was great.

shoegirl01
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:51 PM

I think its a cute idea.  I like the idea (sorry I got it from twilight but it was cute!) of saving all the old trip tee shirts and making a quilt out of them!

SSCFan
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

I like that idea its not like they will be used for cleaning. They will be quilts that you girls may cherish for the rest of their lives.

People use to do this years ago.  Some even took a special outfit or dress and made a quilt around it.  My mother has a quilt that her grandmother made her with the outfit she came home in.  It is very precious to her and even made sure all 3 of her kids came home with it.  Looking at the pictures, people swear it's pics of the same baby (we all looked the same for the first 2yrs of life).Haha

You do what you want.  It's your clothes, your decision.

crazy4u49033
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM

love this idea.I really wanted to do this with my sons clothes.I even found a company that would do it for me. I havent had it done, but what a cute way to remember your fav outfits and memories. I would say DO IT!!!! Besides im sure there will be some outfits that you wont cut up all the clothes...you can give soem away...lol

wilesmomma
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Cute idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)