Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fixing our car...is it worth it?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:41 PM
  • 15 Replies

so over the weekend we had to take our car to the shop. come to find out our engine went bad and we need a new engine. they said they have a used engine that is 800.00 but with labor it comes to a total of 2400.00. the mechanic said that its as really reallygood car and has really good parts and has alot of life left if we fix the engine. we are still making payments on it and will be paid off in about ayear and a half. everyone in my husbands family is saying its not worth to fix it, just look in the classifieds and buy a new car thats like 1500.00. now these people have a tendency to buy junkers...my MIL all throughout her married life they bought cars off classifieds that were worth hardly anything..and when it broke down instead of fixing it they would buy another car. so they think its not worth to pay 2400.00 to fix our car even if its still in really good condition. what does everyone think?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ECMOM970
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:43 PM

If you are still making payments on it I would get it fixed....you are still responisble for those payments even if the car is dead and you buy another one...so you will have 2 car payments or paying for a car that you no longer have....

PeaceMuch
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I would fix it.

bec94
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:48 PM
Can they give you a warreny on the engine? If the engine they put in goes you are out all that money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhotoBella
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Id fix it. I just paid 1700.00 to get my transmission fixed and I still owe around 2600 on my suv. But now, the trannys good for another 100k miles (so 8-9 years). Id just pay it off and start saving for a new one.

mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Quoting ECMOM970:

If you are still making payments on it I would get it fixed....you are still responisble for those payments even if the car is dead and you buy another one...so you will have 2 car payments or paying for a car that you no longer have....

A proud Christian, Republican. Supporter of the deportation of ALL illegal immigrants and their anchor babies, Breastfeeding, Attachment parenting, Natural, Drug free Child Birthing, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing, ANTI- CRY IT OUT, mommy to my 3 girls and one on the way and wife to my Marine!

Abortion? What part of "Thou shalt NOT kill" don't you understand?

canthaveboys1
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Quoting ECMOM970:

xxlilmomma09
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I would get it fixed if you still owe on it. Since you still have to make payments, you should just drive it.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Well, there isn't really any way a mechanic can know how long other parts will last on your vehicle.  How many miles is on it?  What year is it?  How much would a vehicle just like yours cost to buy?

My parents own an auto repair shop.

Is there a warranty on this used engine?  How long or how many miles?  Does it cover both parts AND labor?

mommy0924
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:21 PM

our car is a 2005 neon. we currently have 85,000 miles on it and it runs awesome ( minus this problem ) the used engine they have has 77,000 miles on it. im not sure if it comes with a warranty.....

chrissy8907
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM
Can you just buy the engine from them and see if you can find cheaper labor?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)