Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I handle all these toys!? My house isn't big enough!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:35 PM
  • 10 Replies

What toy boxes/organization do you use?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Put half of the toys in a box and put them up somewhere.  Then in a month or two, take those out and switch them with the half you had left out.  Then every month or so, keep switching them out.  They're like brand new toys each time and you don't have as many laying around.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Rebeccaroe
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

Put half of the toys in a box and put them up somewhere.  Then in a month or two, take those out and switch them with the half you had left out.  Then every month or so, keep switching them out.  They're like brand new toys each time and you don't have as many laying around.

I agree with this, oh and what we have out fits in a big plastic tub that the lid can fit on. 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:48 PM

You could start by gettting rid of some. Or alot. Makes organizing easier.

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Get fewer toys.  :)

I use sturdy laundry baskets for toys . . . and toy boxes.  But my daughter's room is overwhelmed with stuff animals and there's nothing that can solve that short of getting rid of some.

Oh, and Ikea has some nice storage systems . . . check out their website.

Osstie
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I have all the toys divided up into 3 big storage containers. I switch them out every 6 months or so.

Bmat
by Barb on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Go through them and get rid of as many as you can.  I used big garbage bags and rotated the bags every three months or so. The toys were "new" each time.

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM
We have everything sorted in plastic tote things, a box a vacuum came in, and laundry baskets. Dress up stuff in one, purses, makeup in another, dolls in another, random toys in another. Books in the box (extras). Riding toys under a big desk that other books fill up, a canvas gift bag holds playdough and playdough accesories. Old lunch boxes hold jewelry and hair stuff. A tote under her bed holds stuffed animals (that get switched out as sleeping buddies). Every 6 months or so we go through everything and clear a lot out. Mostly from stuff people gives her and stuff she buys herself with money she saves. She also has a tv/dvd player on one dresser, a basket with movies and cd's. Another table in a corner that holds the lunch boxes. All art stuff in buckets she keeps under her work desk. A wicker laundry basket sits on another dresser and holds her play dishes. Everything has a place and section. When we go through everything, we pay special attention to containerss that are over full. I prefer everything to be just under the top of the container.
Right now, her toy box piles are taller than her! We're getting some boxes and going through them this weekend. It took a while to get it all sorted but we both like it. I think it looks neater and she likes knowing where a specific toy is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IleanRight
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I like the totes that are long but not as deep so we can put them under the bed

dlock25
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM
I had that same problem with my odd. We got rid of most of them. She is a lot happier because her room stays cleaner and I now actually get to see her get some use out of the toys
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ErikaM27
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I freecycle the toys they no longer use. Then I buy a big box and put one toy box in each room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)