Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Shower timing question for those of us due after the holidays...

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:41 PM
  • 6 Replies

Please help! My girl friends are trying to start planning a shower, but we can't get past the first hurdle -- the date!! Etiquette books say 6 weeks out, but that's Christmas! 8 weeks still puts us smack in the middle of the big holiday season (and whenever we've tried to plan events this time of year people have too many things going on -- shopping, travel for holidays, kids out of school for winter break, family visiting, cooking, company parties, etc.). One gal said we should do Jan. 8th, but that's 3 weeks before baby's due date and I think it is cutting it too close. That basically leaves 11/20 (or 21st) - the weekend before Thanksgiving - or 12/04 (or 5th) which is the weekend after Thanksgiving. We already have a holiday invite for that weekend, so I was thinking 11/20 or 11/21 would be best, but another friend says it is too early (10.5 weeks before due date).

Anyone have advice?? Help!!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
shellie830
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Have your shower when you want to either date sounds fine to me, Jan 8th is okay and so is Nov 20 but remember that's really close to Thanksgiving and that's not expensive holiday too. Maybe do it in the begining of Dec so people can get some of the great deals that are out there for Black Friday:)

Seans_mommy123
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I had my baby shower in July and my DS was due in November. That was the only time that worked for us. My DH was getting ready to deploy and it was going to be the last chance to get home to see family. So it was a combined baby shower and going away party. So Mine was 4 months out.

PeaceMuch
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I think Jan 8th. I had both my shower 3 weeks before my due dates.

ZoeCY

I was due February 8, we had Christmas celebrations starting the weekend after Thanksgiving through mid-January.  That being said we had my baby shower I think a week before Thanksgiving.  Yes it was early but it was what worked for everyone, plus we live in Michigan so at that point the weather still wasn't too bad.

Annette7931
I would do it in November... My baby shower was in June and my dd was born in September and you enjoy it so much more when you're nit in the super uncomfortable last few weeks. My friends through me a small one like 4 weeks prior and I was so irritated... I couldn't handle sitting still and that's half the party... Sitting there watching games, opening gifts, etc... Definitely think earlier showers are more enjoyable
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM
I wouldn't pay attention to the books. Do what works. I agree with before or after Thanksgiving.
Kyra was due (and born on) February 19th. I had one joint shower at work (coworker's girlfriend was due Dec. 28th) before Halloween. I had a family shower mid November. It worked best for everyone. Plus, I wasn't sp pregnant I couldn't move and enjoy myself. My sister had her baby mid-January a few years ago. Her shower was on the Halloween before. Again, it was the date that worked best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)