Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

An Old Friend and CPS Advice please

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:26 PM
  • 20 Replies

An old friend from highschool had a recent run in w/ CPS.  They came to her house lastnight around 9.  Told her they had reports she was abusing her 2 kids and took them from their beds and dropped them off at their father's house. They showed her no papers or anything. They didn't have a cop with them no nothing.  They didn't even go into specifics on what the abuse allegation was.

Is that legal on how they did that?  There father has caused a lot of trouble for her in the past, he's in arrears w/ CS and is now an ex con.  Arson to vehicles armed robbery.  Yet CPS took the kids to him.  They also told her they will not start an investigation until Monday.  Meaning in a wk. 

What should she do, can shetalk to her kids, go see them or what. They didn't even give her a caseworker or anything and they aren't telling her anything as far as what her rights are.  We are in PA if that matters.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOMby19
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:30 PM

She cannot take the kids from the house where CPS has placed them. She CAN go in to the CPS office and find out what charges are being filed against her and she can request that the kids be taken to the doctor to disprove abuse. She can also request a social worker and therapist assigned to herself and the kids. I think she can also look into temporary visitation arrangements.

robinalbright
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:32 PM
i am guessing it was the father that called them. there must have been some strong proof that she did for them to make a after hours visit and immediatly take the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
canthaveboys1
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:34 PM

In Illinois they do investigations first. If the children are being taken care of and dont show signs of abuse or neglect than they dont take them. I think its strange that they didnt do an interview with the kids and they just took them out of bed.

Beyondthesky37
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:35 PM

umm if they showed her no papers or anything how is she sure it really was CPS?

o0gone0o
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:38 PM

The problem is I know she has a temper but she loves children.  She's better with little kids than anyone I know. But if you are an adult or nearly adult she may get mouthy with you. 

From what I know though is both kids 3 and almost 2 fight her for going to bed, almost every single night. They'll scream and holler for a good 20minutes before they give up and go lay down.  I havn't seen this but this is what her sister told me.

They didn't even look at the kids 1st they just came and and took them.  That was her first and only contact with CPS.

Quoting robinalbright:

i am guessing it was the father that called them. there must have been some strong proof that she did for them to make a after hours visit and immediatly take the kids.

MommaTashy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:39 PM
Im sorry im in PA and cps up here is a joke . They should have told her who her casewoker was . they shouldnt have just taken them like that unless they had some serious proof or her ex must have mad some serious allegations making them think the children were in immediate danger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diva1976
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:39 PM

OMG...OK,...I am in Pa also BUT I am from Texas and Louisiana.All statesare diffrenet in the way they handle cases.....I know in those states that they are have to give you a caseworker,they normally have started on the case before hand.I don't know from expereince just from what I have been told by the law and from  a friend that dealt with them.She needs to go to that office and ask for the investagation report and what they are trying to get her on...IF there father is that bad then they should have went to Immediate family....

BY LAW she DOES NOT have to open that door for anyone NOT even the LAW...I have talked to a woman that has a website and she will reply back ASAP...I will send you here website in a private message....

carterscutie85
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM

This. For all she knows her ex hired some scummy people to do this.

I'd call the police. Btw u NEVER have to let CPS in your house unless they have a warrant.

Quoting Beyondthesky37:

CafeMom Tickers
Dconnorsmommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I dont know anything about CPS but I do know if some people came to my house at 9:30 at night and tried to take my kids with out no papers or ID, I would be in jail, that or they would have to kill me first

o0gone0o
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:43 PM

I have no idea I havnt spoken to her I just was told this all by her sister.  Her sister was fuming because of them giving custody to their dad.  I emailed her to try and find out first hand.  I just know she was crying and such last night while talking to her family.  And tried calling the CPS office for information this morning and they didn't really help at all.

Quoting Beyondthesky37:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)