• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am worried sick about my 2 yr old...please offer advice...update posted

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:06 PM
  • 18 Replies

My 2 yr old had 7 root canals and 3 cavaties filled yesterday under general anesthia, he had baby bottle tooth decay. Since the procedure yesterday he has been crying almost non-stop, he has developed a fever of 102.6 without tylenol and motrin, and 101 with tylenol and motrin. He has also been trying to sleep all day and we can get him to talk to us, but he is like talking in his sleep, he is not really waking up to talk to us. He normally LOVES to take baths. Like when I take a bath he will come in and throw a fit if I don't let him get in with me, bath time is his favorite and normally when he is having a bad day we can cheer him up by putting him in the tub, but today he seems to hate the bath tub. He doesn't want anything but to sleep or to cry. My husband called ask a nurse and we are still waiting for them to call us back, but I am so worried I am starting to contract, which is not good as I am supposed to be on bed rest for preterm labor (I am due in November). He had an MRI for scoliosis 2 weeks ago under anesthia and he did fine after coming home. I have a 7 yr old who had his tonsils out at 4 and did fine, so I am not sure if this is an affect of the procedure, or what? Please offer advice if you can as I really am worried, and ask a nurse hasn't called back yet, they normally take 20-30 minutes to call back.

Thanks for all the advice. After taking him in it has been determined that he developed an infection because of how much dental work was done at one time. He is now on antibiotics and prescription pain meds and is doing much better. He is finally starting to play a little bit again and is actually smiling again. I am happy that I followed my gut instinct that something was not right and got him in. and again thank you for the advice, it helped me to realize that I wasn't just being a worry wart.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luv.My.Soldier
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Im not sure about the fever, but the grumpiness and everything is prob just cause he is in pain. my DD had to have some dental work like this done too and she never got a fever but was pretty grumpy and ill for a few days afterwards.

CAMKsMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Call the nurse again.  If they don't call back in five minutes, I would call the ER.  My husband had an accident at work once.  He smooshed his index finger under 300 pounds of pressure.  In contrast, he had bad teeth and was given an opportunity to have them removed and get dental implants.  12 teeth were removed and he said he would rather go through smashing all 10 of his fingers separately than to have his teeth removed. 

You make no mention if your son was given any kind of pain medicine.  Have you given any?  It's very important to take the medicine as prescribed and to take it as often as allowed in order to stay ahead of the pain.  I'm sorry you have to deal with this.  I hope your son heals up quickly.

piwife
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM
I hope he feels better. How long was he in the bottle?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyw8508
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:24 PM

He probably has an infection in one of the teeth for the fever to be that high, if you take the temp under the armpit, you are supposed to add 2 degrees to the fever temp, so if it said 102.6 underarm that means it could be as high as 104.6!! and he might be in pain if they didnt remove the entire root like they are supposed to. Both have happened to me and the pain was unimaginable. 

Take him to the Emergency Room now. Tell them to take xrays, dont leave until they figure out what is going on! there is something bad going on here.

LilGina
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I( would be crabby to if i had 7 root canels i say give it time hes prolley in pain

mommatink83
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM

He was not given any prescription pain meds, the dentist said he doesn't give them to children as young as 2, they told me to alternate tylenol and motrin which we have been doing like clockwork, even setting an alarm in the middle of the night, he was on the bottle for a year and a half, which I know is too long to be on the bottle but he has always been a little developmentally behind and we had trouble getting him off the bottle.

shoegirl01
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM

This is really abnormal.  Call the dentist after hours number. 

CAMKsMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Then I would head to the ER.  Your son shouldn't have to deal with that much pain. Even one root canal can be extremely painful for an adult.  The ER will be able to give him something.  Seriously, I would have that dentist's rear end if he told me my child just had to deal with so much pain and take piddly tylenol and motrin.

mamakenzi
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Quoting CAMKsMom:

Then I would head to the ER.  Your son shouldn't have to deal with that much pain. Even one root canal can be extremely painful for an adult.  The ER will be able to give him something.  Seriously, I would have that dentist's rear end if he told me my child just had to deal with so much pain and take piddly tylenol and motrin.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenre
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Dental surgery is horrible. I hated every minute of it. I hope the nurse calls soon. Sounds like he might have an infection, dry socket, or his body isn't handling the pain correctly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)