Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flu Shots for the kids?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you giving your kids the flu shot this year?

Options:

Yes

No

Other...please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 22

View Results

Im not sure weather to give my DS (3) a flu shot. Id really rather he get a natural immunity to better prepare him for the future flu seasons. I haven't gotten a flu shot in years and DS never has. Not sure here, Im torn.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armywife2009101
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:49 PM

I voted no. Hes had one flu shot and then he ended up with the flu....Ive never had a flu shot or the flu.

mamakenzi
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

No because I am highly allergic to it and I'm not ready to find out if DD is as well.

AudrasMommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Yep.  Mine have never gotten it but now that my oldest is school aged and I have a brand new baby in the home we ALL will be getting it to protect the baby.

wright1212
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:58 PM

My 8yo and 1yo will NOT be getting it. They are both at home and my 8yo has autism. Most flu shots have mercury and I will not expose him to it. My 5yo and myself and hubby are getting flu shots. She is in school and not at risk for mercury poisening. DH works in a nursing home so has to.

ALSO-building immunity is crap. There are hundreds of flu virus every year and they change constantly. I know too many kids who were in the hospital because of the flu and many of those die, i fear that most. BUT one thing I hate about the vaccine (besides the stupid media pressure with no real information) is it only protects the most common current flu viruses, but you could easily get one of the other strands...but its all your decision.

mama2mycuties
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM

my option would be a big fat hell no! never have never will, not for myself or the kids....dh it is required for the military.

DVD
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Thanks ladies! I was torn about weather the shot build immunity for later on...sort of why the older generation is not really at risk for the H1N1 because they had previous exposure. I don't think Ill be getting it for him and hopefully he will be stronger for it. Nothing does immunity like the body itself!

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM
I did do it last year and I had never had one ever. But husband is getting chemo treatments and his doctor suggested it since his ammune system is very compromised so we did it for husbands safty but I don't think we will be doing it again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I have every year of her life and will continue to do it. This will be the 6th year she's had the shot and the 6th year that she didn't get the flu. Could be due to the shots, or the shots could have nothing to do with it. Either way, I'm not fixing what's not broke.  ;-)

LPurtell
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Our pediatrician does not recommend the fluw shot for our daughter - he feels kids need to develop antibodies and develop a healthy immune system.

BUT every child is different, so ask your doctor.

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Same Here. With my son & I we both had the flu shot. We both ended up sick. Plus my arm was really sore where the gave me the shot. It was not a fun week for me after we got the flu shots that year. I will not got the flu vaccine for him or me ever again.

Quoting armywife2009101:

I voted no. Hes had one flu shot and then he ended up with the flu....Ive never had a flu shot or the flu.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)