Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Three young brothers are missing from Morenci, MI (along Ohio/Michigan border) Last seen 11/25/10

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 4:11 AM
  • 3 Replies

This is really close to me, and every near a toll-road. so they maybe anyone. Please take the time to look at the pictures and look at the boys you see today. THANK YOU!

Posted: 11/27/2010

MORENCI, Mich. (WXYZ) - In a sudden afternoon news conference, Morenci Police announced that the father of three missing boys will be charged with three counts of parental kidnapping.

The police did not release any other details on the search for the young missing brothers, Andrew, Alexander amd Tanner. Morenci Police Chief Larry Weeks did say that the boys' father, John Skelton, was released from a mental health facility and was immediately taken into custody by agents from the Toledo office of the FBI.

He is being housed in the Lucas County Jail in Toledo, Ohio.

During an earlier news conference Tuesday, police told reporters they had received new information in the search for the boys that has led them to believe there will not be a "positive outcome" in the case.

The revelation came from Morenci Police Chief Weeks during the morning news conference. He told members of the media, "There's been information that's developed since last we spoke that, based on the information that we have, we do not anticipate a positive outcome."

Speaking about the investigation, Weeks spoke about the boy's father, saying "We've continued to talk to all parties involved with this investigation, including Mr. Skelton. Statements he's made to investigators would indicate that it's not gonna be a positive outcome."

Monday night, an eerie silence fell on the command center where the search for the three missing boys is headquartered in this small town on the Michigan-Ohio border. Andrew, Alex and Tanner Skelton remain missing after last being seen Thursday evening.

The case took another disturbing turn Monday morning when police confirmed the father of the boys lied to investigators.

Weeks said John Skelton, the boys' father, was not truthful when he said he handed the brothers off to a friend on Friday. Skelton had told police that on Friday he gave the boys to a woman he befriended several years ago. Skelton reportedly said he met this woman, Joann Taylor, on the side of the road when he saw that she was having car trouble. Weeks says they have now confirmed that Skelton lied about meeting with a woman named Joann Taylor.

"We can confirm that there’s no established relationship between he and the person he described as Joann Taylor,” Weeks said.

Chief Weeks also told reporters that now investigators want to know if anyone saw the boys in Skelton's 2000 Dodge Minivan in the early morning hours of Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, That van is now in the custody of police.

Throughout the day Monday, search crews from the FBI, Michigan State Police and Morenci Police continued looking for five-year-old Tanner, seven year-old Alexander and nine year-old Andrew. Law enforcement along with dozens of volunteers searched the Lazy River Campground in Pioneer, Ohio just south of the Michigan state line.

Sources tell Action News police and FBI have been fanning out across the Michigan-Ohio border searching abandoned homes and wooded areas.

Over the weekend investigators also checked rural area surrounding Morenci, which sits in Lenawee County.

Authorities released a poster with pictures of the children and information.

Ten-year-old, Harley Worrick knows the brothers' from elementary school, she says that teachers discussed the disappearance during class Monday. "They read this thing that was passed out from the elementary, and it was weird because my best friend called me over because she was crying while the teacher was reading it," says Harley.

John Skelton is currently in the hospital. He suffered a fractured ankle in an alleged suicide attempt. He is being held on a psychiatric hold, which police say is common procedure when someone tries to hurt themselves.

Skelton told police that it was after he handed off the children that he attempted to hang himself. However, he survived and called another friend to take him to the hospital. It was at the hospital that he told police that the boys were with Taylor.

The boys have been missing since Thanksgiving. Police say the last confirmed location for the boys was in the backyard of their father's home in Morenci. On Saturday night FBI agents and police removed boxes of evidence from John Skelton's home.

Skelton is separated from his wife, Tanya Skelton, who has full custody of the children. He was allowed planned visits, which is why the boys were in his home over the Thanksgiving holiday.

In another bizarre development, state records reveal that Tanya Skelton, the childrens' mother, is on Michigan's sex-offender registry for a misdemeanor offense from back in 1998. No specifics have been released in that case.

Alexander William Skelton is 7 years-old, 3' 9, 45 pounds and has brown eyes, brown hair and a scar on his chin . Tanner Skelton is 5 years-old, 3' 6 with blue eyes and blonde hair. Andrew Skelton is 9 years-old, 4'  with brown hair and brown eyes.

If you have any information on the whereabouts of the children, contact Morenci police immediately at (517) 263-0524. Or call your local law enforcement agency

Copyright (c) 2010 The E.W. Scripps Company

This I found on my local paper's website:

MORENCI - Jarret Funk was tired and frustrated Wednesday morning.

Thursday, December 2, 2010 1:49 AM EST

No luck in the search

I added this to a different group on here:

• LadybugsMonkeys
  • You wrote on Dec. 2, 2010 at 2:43 AM
  •  Volunteers and police are searching for three missing Michigan boys who were last seen Friday.

Missing from Morenci, Mi on Thanksgiving Day is the last that they was seen. Searching the Holiday City, Ohio (exit 2 of Ohio Toll Road) area again 12/3/10 this is just 9 mile from my front door, and Morenci is 35 miles. from my house too.  This is scary, we never have anything like this here.

•  

My sons have doctor appointments in the morning> And I have to pass thru Holiday City, and I'll be just a few miles for Morenci. I'll try do keep this updated with news as it comes out.
I hope with my whole heart that these boys make it home safe and sound to their mother, every soon.

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Click on my siggy to be taken to a great active group, helping moms help their Sensational kids. Don't know what SPD is ask me.

by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 4:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
momofne
by on Dec. 2, 2010 at 6:22 AM

I live in Michigan and have been following the story. It's so sad. Those poor little boys . I hope they find them so there can be some sort of closure if nothing else for the rest of the family. I don't understand why the father just doesn't tell the police where they are.

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM

I am praying for these boys to be found quickly. I am tearing up right now, that is so sad. I will just keep praying they are safe & together . No parent should have to deal with something like this ever, at this time of year it just makes it even worse.

cryingpraying

Carey2006
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I've been following this in the news...so sad...*prayers*!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)