Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

any one have any cheap meal ideas to feed 8 people

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 11:12 PM
  • 31 Replies

Well here's the background hubby,me and our 2 kids are flying home for Christmas to visit his family. His mom called him today crying saying don't come back see if you can get the money back from the plane tix because I guess they have fallen on hard times and are super broke. She said she cant afford to buy anyone anything for Christmas and she doesn't want to disappoint everyone with no gifts. Well obviously christmas is not about gifts and we are still going to go. She said she doesn't even know how she is going to buy food for the month, so my hubby wants to buy all the food for everyone while we are there (2 weeks.) So with their 4 and our 4 that's 8 people and going to cost us alot of money. I am turing here for ideas on cheap  meal ideas or websites with recipes that can make food stretch thanks!!!!

by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jazzyandpat
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 11:22 PM

U can make chilli one day and then left overs heat them up and had some dry maccari for chilli mac...

U can also boil a whole chicken debone it shread it up with broth make chicken noddle soup add a lil bit of meat the rest of the meat u can make spanish rice with chicken mixed in.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Alot of casseroles and soups would feed that many people.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I was also going to suggest chili mac, LOL

Here's a pretty good website for cheap meals, although it counts on a "stocked pantry" a lot of the time.  All in all though, not too bad.  http://www.5dollardinners.com/

Spaghetti can be made cheaply and will go a long way.  Meatloaf is pretty cheap with a side of mashed potatoes.  You can find recipes for things like quiche or egg casseroles.  Eggs are pretty cheap and filling.

alc030
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 11:37 PM

I get a lot of recipes from allrecipes.com. I have a recipefor Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti that my family of 3 eats on for 2.5 meals. Buy a pack of boneless, skinless chicken and bake it. Season it however you like. Buy a pack of spaghetti, regular can of cream of chicken soup and one of cream of mushroom soup. A half a block of Velveeta and a can of rotell with the green chili's in it. Bake the chicken and cube it after cooking. Cook the noodles. In a large bowl, cube the cheese and add all the other ingredients in it and stir. Put in microwave till cheese is melted. Pour the cheese mixture over the noodles and mix together. Stir in chicken. And it's done.

For a light meal, get rotini noodles and cook them. Take the other half of the Velveeta and half a can of cream of chicken soup, mix together, heat in microwave till melted. Pour over noodles. I add steamed broccoli to this as well. You could also save some of the chicken from the recipe above and add to it.

Good luck! And I think it's great what yall are doing for the family :)

LilGina
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 12:21 AM

thanks everyone ill have to save this post. I remeber somone postting about being able to make several meals from 1 chicken ill have to look for that post.

Quoting jazzyandpat:

U can make chilli one day and then left overs heat them up and had some dry maccari for chilli mac...

U can also boil a whole chicken debone it shread it up with broth make chicken noddle soup add a lil bit of meat the rest of the meat u can make spanish rice with chicken mixed in.

MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Does she have a crockpot?

Sipesyeri
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 12:27 AM
A big pot of spaghetti or chili!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
camy41075
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 12:36 AM

You can do a lot with ground chuck or hamburger which ever is cheeper. I go to the store every month and I will buy 10 pounds of ground chuck for 5 of us. One night we will do tocos and then if any meat is left I will freeze it and then one night I will do refried burittos and just mix the left over meat w/ the refried beans and put it on the soft shells.

Like others said you can do a big pot of chili that can make a few meals and lunches. If you guys like veggie soup you can take a pound of ground chuck a large bag of frozzen mixed veggies (what ever u like) a can of V8 small can of tomato juice and mix mix it together and let it cook for a few hours (oh brown the beef first lol) then when it is about finished take a few cups of cabbage and slice and dice it and put in the pot and cook until it is soft. I hate cabbage but this soup is the best and I fed 12 people w/ it and still had a huge bowl left over. Make some corn bread or just plan ol crackers and some sandwichs.

If you like chicken N dumplings....easy way and cheap (w/out buying whole chicken) take a few cans of the can chicken and put into a pot w/ some chicken borth and water salt and pepper to taste. Then cook down and when it is the thickness u like open some biscuits and pinch them off and drop into the boiling chicken mix. My kids are so pickey but they eat this stuff up and a little goes a long long way.

good luck

modelmom04
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 12:36 AM

15 bean soup.  IT is a package with the dried beans and has chili seasoning.  I put it in the crock pot and put boneless chicken breast in and that is a meal in itself.  I usually make conrbread to go with it and I add a little more seasoning.  Rice casserole is something I kinda threw together and my family loves it.  I cook about 6 cups rice.  Cook a lb of hamburger meat throw it in a casserole dish with a can of tomato sauce and rotel and green chilis and put cheese on top.  Put it in the oven and let the cheese melt.  With 8 ppl you may have to cook more, I feed a family of 6 and sometimes 7 ppl on that one dish. 

latenightlady
by on Dec. 4, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Spaghetti

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN