Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

do you leave the water running when its below freezing?

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 3:15 AM
  • 37 Replies
i never knew water could freeze in your pipes untill last year, we didn't have water for a week because it was froozen. do you leave your water running?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 3:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.BAT
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 3:27 AM

Yes, my family always did, so thankfully I grew up knowing about it. We're particularly careful because when we moved in here, the place hadn't been lived in in a couple of years and some pipes had burst during the winter and had to be replaced.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2010 at 3:28 AM

When i lived in an older home, yes we kept it dripping not a full force on.

Susanjdv861
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 3:31 AM

no i have never lived anywhere where it gets that cold. i have heard from people that live in cold that you are supose to do that tho.

gulfcoastmom4
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 4:07 AM

I let it drip but running no.

M.I.A...P.O.W
by Member on Dec. 7, 2010 at 5:40 AM

Yes when it hits freezing or below we leave the water dripping. We have had frozen pipes once (not busted) and that was no fun.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2010 at 6:00 AM

Not in our current home. Isn't necessary. In our old place yes. As did my sister. Usually just a tiny trickle. I know my sister had an old farmhouse and she would put additional wraps on the pipes and would sometimes set up a heater in the cellar. Her house was especially drafty and not insulated well at all. 

LeeLeeCandleGrl
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 8:03 AM

What if you live in an apartment? I just moved to Maryland from California so I have no idea.

ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Only if we lose power and have no heat.

my2munchkns
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 8:23 AM
I aLlways left mine on a steady drip to be safe :0)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heidi749
by Canadian on Dec. 7, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Are's is but we have all new pipes & stuff , so it is set to do that , Since I live in Canada it gets pretty dame cold here & if it did not have a slow run, then are pipes would actually frezze & burst. This happened to my SIL last year, it was a big mess . Since she is in a old house & the pipes are old they forgot to turn the water on. She will never forget to keep her water running now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)