Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

infant advil

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 11:02 AM
  • 15 Replies

my son has been getting a cold since last night. im thinking h is teething. i snd hubby to get some moltrin. i knew thy might not hav it so i told him to bring ibuprophen (gnric brand) he brought infant advil i have never given it to my kids, i been calling his doctor to see if its ok but they dont answer left a messege and nothing. is it ok if i give my 8 month old infant advil?

by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loverbugsmommy
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 11:04 AM
I would call the pharmacist, that has aspirin in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loverbugsmommy
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM
Why wouldnt you just give him tylenol?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
okhsmom
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Quoting loverbugsmommy:

Kiwismommy19
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 11:06 AM

http://www.pamf.org/children/common/fever/#Acetaminophen%20and%20ibuprofen%20dosage%20charts

Check this site. Scroll down most ways, it gives an ibuprofen dosage chart. Make sure to go by the kid's weight, not age, and use the measuring device that came with the meds. A kitchen teaspoon isn't the same and will over/under medicate your kid.

okhsmom
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Quoting loverbugsmommy:

I wouldn't give tylenol because every time I turn around, a tylenol product is being recalled.

Alejandra10
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 11:07 AM

yesterday we were giving him tylenol but the fever would come down and then go ack again so we called his pedi and she said to change him to ibuprophen that would help out better. but now i have been calling but they dont answer and i left a messege but their not calling back

Quoting loverbugsmommy:

Kiwismommy19
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Also, check online (google it) to see if your particular bottle has been recalled. They are usually pulled off the shelf when recalled but some can get missed and it's best to check.

ATG499
by Member on Dec. 7, 2010 at 11:11 AM
There is Advil for his age if I remember correctly. As long as it's not the 2 years and up kind and you don't OD him, I don't see the problem with it.

Hope your son feels better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Quoting okhsmom:

Quoting loverbugsmommy:

that isn't true at all.  NO infant products have aspirin in them

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Childhood Illnesses

Bookmark and Share
IBUPROFEN

(MOTRIN, ADVIL, PEDIACARE FEVER)

Bookmark and Share

WHAT IT'S USED FOR

Ibuprofen has three actions: it reduces fever, relieves pain and fights inflammation. Typical uses are: teething, earaches, sunburn, fevers, headaches and sore muscles.

IBUPROFEN DOSAGE

Click here for dosing chart. Although the package might not give a dosage for under two years, it can be safely used down to two months of age (it used to only be approved down to 6 months, but in 2001, it was proven to be safe and effective down to two months of age). Some packages will use an age range to figure dose, but it is more effective to dose by weight. The dose is 4.5 milligrams per pound of body weight (for metric users, that's 10mg per kilo). For example: a 22-pound child would get about 100mg (22 X 4.5 =99). This comes out to one teaspoon of the children's liquid. Some books recommend half this dose for "low grade" fevers below 102.5 but I have found this to just wear off sooner, requiring more medication.

DR. SEARS HELPFUL HINTS

• Ibuprofen usually starts taking effect within 30 minutes and should last at least six hours. If it wears-off too soon, then use a dose of Acetaminophen.
  • For very high or stubborn fevers, alternate between Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen every three hours (i.e., give a dose of Acetaminophen then three hours later give Ibuprofen then three hours later Acetaminophen, ect.) These two medications are safe to use together like this.
  • Compared with Acetaminophen (Tylenol), Ibuprofen works a little faster, lasts a little longer, and seems to bring a fever down farther.
  • 1 tsp (5ml) of children's liquid and ½ tsp (2.5 ml) of infant drops both contain 100mg of Ibuprofen- if you run out of one form, the other can be substituted, but be sure you know which you have and use them correctly.
  • There are different dropper sizes: Children's Motrin Drops and Pediacare Fever Drops use a 1.25ml (¼ tsp) dropper, whereas Pediatric Advil Drops use a 2.5ml (½ tsp) syringe for dosing. This can be confusing if your Doctor tells you the dose in droppers. Our dosing chart gives the dose in milliliters, teaspoons, syringes and droppers.
  • Some packages come with a cup that is "measured" in child's weight or age - these cups will under- dose so you should just use your own dropper or cup that measures in teaspoons or milliliters.

SAFETY/SIDE EFFECTS

Ibuprofen is generally considered very safe to use in infants and children. There are minimal side- effect concerns in a healthy child. It sometimes can cause stomach upset, do not use if your child has stomach ulcers. Ibuprofen also can have a mild effect on blood clotting ability; I usually don't use it if a child has large wounds or bruises (note: Acetaminophen does not have theses two effects). Ibuprofen has a good safety margin, i.e. it takes many times the regular dose to be harmful. If given at the proper doses, it is safe to use "around the clock" for several days.

INTERACTIONS
Ibuprofen can be used along with any antibiotic, cold or cough remedy (providing Ibuprofen is not one of the ingredients).

HOW SUPPLIED

• Pediatric/infant drops 50mg/1.25ml
  • Children's liquid 100mg/5ml
  • Chewable tablets 50mg or 100mg
  • Junior strength caplets 100mg

IBUPROFEN DOSING CHART

Doses can be given every 6 hours. When treating fever or pain, I like to use a "strong but safe" dose so your child will feel better sooner. I have designed this chart with narrow weight ranges so you can give the best dose.

Important note for Ibuprofen infant and pediatric drops dosage:

Note: as of February 2003, Motrin changed their dropper to a syringe that is identical to the Advil syringe. The old dropper was like the Pediacare Fever Drops - if you have the old dropper, just follow the instructions for the Pediacare drops, below.

Different dropper sizes: Pediacare Fever Drops come with a 1.25ml (¼ tsp) dropper, whereas Motrin and Advil Infant's Drops come with a 1.875ml syringe for dosing. The amount you are giving is the same, you are just giving it in a different sized dropper.

• Pediacare: ½ dropper = 0.625ml, and 1 dropper = 1.25ml
  •  

• Advil/Motrin Infant drops: 1/3 syringe = 0.625ml, 2/3 syringe = 1.25ml, and 1 syringe = 1.875ml.

Don't let the dropper/syringe difference confuse you. The milligram amount you are giving is the same, you are just giving it in a different sized syringe.

If you're in doubt about how much to give, you can use the milligram dosage column on the left to double-check yourself.

Weight: Milligram Dosage Pediacare drops 50mg/1.25ml Advil/Motrin Drops 50mg/1.25ml Children's liquid 100mg/5ml Chewable Tablets 50mg each Junior strength Caps or chews 100mg each
9-10 lbs 25mg ½ dropper (0.625) 1/3 syringe (0.625ml) N/A N/A N/A
11-16 lbs 50mg 1 dropper (1.25ml) 2/3 syringe (1.25ml) ½ tsp (2.5ml) N/A N/A
17-21 lbs 75mg 1 ½ dropper (1.25ml + 0.625ml) 1 syringe (1.875ml) ¾ tsp (3.75ml) N/A N/A
22-26 lbs 100mg 2 droppers (2 x 1.25ml) 1 1/3 syringe (1.875ml + 0.625ml) 1 tsp (5ml) 2 tablets 1 tablet
27-32 lbs 125mg 2 ½ droppers (2 x 1.25ml + 0.625ml) 1 2/3 syringe (1.875ml + 01.25ml) 1 ¼ tsp (6.25ml) 2 ½ tablets  
33-37 lbs 150mg 3 droppers (3 x 1.25ml) 2 syringes (2 x 1.875ml) 1 ½ tsp (7.5ml) 3 tablets 1 ½ tablet
38-42 lbs 175mg 3 ½ droppers (3 x 1.25ml + 0.625ml) 2 1/3 syringes (2 x 1.875ml + 0.625ml) 1 ¾ tsp (8.75ml) 3 ½ tablets  
43-53 lbs 200mg 4 droppers (4 x 1.25ml) 2 2/3 syringes (2 x 1.875ml + 1.25ml) 2 tsp (10ml) 4 tablets 2 tablets
54-64 lbs 250mg Use liquid or tablets Use liquid or tablets 2 ½ tsp (12.5ml) 5 tablets 2 ½ tablets
65-75 lbs 300mg     3 tsp (15ml) 6 tablets 3 tablets
76-86 lbs 350mg     3 ½ tsp (17.5ml) 7 tablets 3 ½ tablets
87-95 lbs 400mg     4 tsp (20ml) 8 tablets 4 tablets
> 95 lbs   Give Adult Dose    
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN