Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age did you quit night time feedings and how?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:22 AM
  • 13 Replies
Monkey is 8 months old and he has started to realize that if he cries at night i come in the room. The past 2 night he has been doing it every 2 hours. I want to stop the night time bottles but i cant seem to make myself let him cry it out. I feel like he might be lonely or scared and that im not there. How do i stop the night time feedings?
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:29 AM
Every kid is so different. I stopped Kyra's around 8 months or so. But she never woke up for it. She was on meds and one of her doses was at midnight every night. In the beginning we gave her a bottle with it but around 8 months we just gave her a drink of water from the cup to wash the meds down. She stopped waking up for anything at night around 4-6 weeks or so but again, I was waking her up everynight so she didn't get the chance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:36 AM
At about nine months I started trying other things to get him back to sleep first bottle always last. Eventully he started just wanting to be rocked or a pat on the back and he would go back to sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM

If my baby woke up I fed them. Not to sound rude, but shouldn't he be making the decisions on when he eats, after all it is his stomach and he knows when he's hungry. 

Margo137
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:11 AM

after 6 months babies dont physically need to be fed during the night. Their stomachs are more than capable of staying full during an 8 hour or more stretch of sleep.  They are waking up and wanting to be fed out of habit.  The more you keep feeding them, the more they will continue to wake up to be fed.

The baby could also be waking up due to teething.

If this is something new for the baby (op), I would try everything before resorting to feeding the baby. (change diaper, rocking, etc).

From what I've read and based on what my pediatrician told me, the best way to cut out night feedings if they are already established is to reduce the amount fed by an ounce or so every night. So if you normally feed 6 oz in the middle of the night, reduce that feeding to 5 oz for a few nights. Then 4oz for a few nights, etc.  The baby's body will start feeding more during the day due to the decreased feedings at night.

Quoting mommyof2grls06:

If my baby woke up I fed them. Not to sound rude, but shouldn't he be making the decisions on when he eats, after all it is his stomach and he knows when he's hungry.

sweettigeress
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:13 AM

My first dd gave up night feedings on her own. She started sleeping through the night shortly after she turned 3 months old. He's probably waking up out of habit. Instead of feeding him when he cries, change his diaper and try to rock him back to sleep. Or do what Margo suggested and decrease his feedings by the ounce. 

mommybug77
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:13 AM

When she was 39 months old & I stopped nursing.

mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Well, tell that to my kids who woke up until about 12 months to nurse and would actually fully nurse as if they were hungry. If the baby is waking up and taking the entire bottle then they're hungry. Not all babies can go for 8 hours with out eating. I wake up hungry or thirsty at night sometimes, but I guess since I'm an adult I should just ignore that and go back to sleep, right?

Not all babies are capable of sleeping through the night by the book. All babies are different and most actually don't go by those horrible standards of 6 months and then you're screwed at night. 

Quoting Margo137:

after 6 months babies dont physically need to be fed during the night. Their stomachs are more than capable of staying full during an 8 hour or more stretch of sleep.  They are waking up and wanting to be fed out of habit.  The more you keep feeding them, the more they will continue to wake up to be fed.

The baby could also be waking up due to teething.

If this is something new for the baby (op), I would try everything before resorting to feeding the baby. (change diaper, rocking, etc).

From what I've read and based on what my pediatrician told me, the best way to cut out night feedings if they are already established is to reduce the amount fed by an ounce or so every night. So if you normally feed 6 oz in the middle of the night, reduce that feeding to 5 oz for a few nights. Then 4oz for a few nights, etc.  The baby's body will start feeding more during the day due to the decreased feedings at night.

Quoting mommyof2grls06:

iRawr
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:15 AM

DS turns 1 in less then 2 weeks and he still nurses at night. Several times a night.

DanielleK21
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I stopped my sons at about 10 months old. He didn't even need it really at 8 months old. (He was only waking up once a night at 5am. ) I liked the personal time that we got together I guess. Finally I just stopped going in there. He didn't even cry he just babbled for about 15 min and fell back to sleep.

-Shelley-
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:17 AM

I don't remember...I think around 8 months with my youngest, but not until 10 months with my oldest. I stopped when they stopped waking up to eat, I let them guide that one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)