Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hair dye question. **UPDATE** for those who care

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:00 AM
  • 7 Replies

I dyed my hair last night but it didn't even change the color. I want to dye it again a lighter color but how soon can I do it? Do I have to wait??  It's one of those wash out it 28 shampoos kind.  I'm not sure if that makes any difference.  The last time I dyed my hair was in high school!

80s pink

Well, I went and did it.  I made it an auburn color and love it!  I hope my hair doesn't fall out!  LOL

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM

i wait about two weeks when fixing a dye that didnt work for me ... 

Shellness
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM

It is hard to make your hair a lighter color. Call the number on the back of the box of hair dye. They have experts who will tell you exactly what to do!!

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:02 AM

What brand of color did you use?  Does it have low ammonia?  How many levels lighter were you attempting to go?  What is your hair condition and type?  There are so many factors that go into coloring your hair...that's why I hate box color.  To maintain the integrity of your hair condition, I would wait at least 5-7 days before attempting to color again. 

carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Same here.

Quoting KelliansMom:

i wait about two weeks when fixing a dye that didnt work for me ... 

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:22 PM
It depends on the overall health of your hair, how much lighter you want, your natural color. Going lighter is so hard. That's why I stick with dark and letting it grow out :-)
Usually, I'll wait abour 3 or 4 days to redo. I have redone it the same night before though. Just wash it a few times with shampoo. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:40 PM

It's not a good idea to go lighter at home, imo. You could try going somewhere like Sally's or another beauty supply store, and ask them for help and you can get professional grade products

milkieshakes
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:43 PM

you're supposed to do a patch test/strand test 24 hours before u do ur total head. doing a strand test lets u know if its gunna cover or lighten properly and let u know how long it will take. before u do it again esp. since it didnt take the first try DO the strand test. the patch test lets u know of allergies, but since u already tried the stuff and there was no burning (right?) then u dont need to do one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)