Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need ideas please!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:31 PM
  • 5 Replies
My sister is getting married in late March (after her baby is born). She and her fiance discussed just going to the JP, but she wants a wedding. The only problem is they are working with a very low budget, if any. I am helping her plan this wedding, so I need inexpensive (or free) wedding ideas that I can run by her. IE, photography, food, etc.
I'm handmaking her invitations, so that isn't an issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:35 PM
Have a family member or friend do the pictures and take them somewhere to be developed. Very cheap :-) Ask the person to make it the wedding gift. Same with food. Ask a family baker to make the cake as the gift. A lot of people are willing and happy to do stuff like that as the wedding gift or just because if you only ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teachmichele825
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Agreed. We didn't pay for a photographer. We asked everyone we knew to bring their digital cameras and we brought our laptop. At the end of the evening all of the camera cards were copied onto our laptop. We got TONS of good wedding pictures.

When shopping for a wedding gown, shop in the prom gown sections. There are some beautiful white gowns that could make gorgeous wedding gowns.

We were at a wedding that didn't use flowers at all. Same situation as your sister. Each BM carried a candle, while the groomsmen carried a picture of something important in their lives together (baby, vacation, engagement, etc.)

As far as food is concerned....have each family member make a covered dish and bring it to the reception...or better yet, don't have one at all! BUT, if a reception is a must...then you can do a soup/sandwich meal if early afternoon, or tea/coffee and cookies if later evening. (make the cookies ahead of time and freeze them until the actual date).

As for the cake...there are plenty of bakeries that will make the cake (or cupcakes) for you and if you icing/decorate them yourselves, they will cut the costs. A friend of mine ordered a ton of un-icinged cupcakes from Sam's Club/BJ's, etc. and had the tea/cookie thing. Guests could icing their own cupcake with different icing flavors and she had some little things to put on top (sprinkles, chocolates, cherries, edible flowers, etc.)

mrsjessielamb
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I had ovarian cancer and we wanted my hubby to have my medical power of attourney do after six years together we decided to tie the knot. We didn't have a lot of money (most of it was for medical expenses) so; I highjacked a spot on the beach and had everyone show up there (so we didn't pay for a venue), had his mom officiate (search through your aquaintances there are lots of kinds of people who are able to sign a marriage license including ships captains), I bought beautiful boquets at the farmers market, all of the bridesmaids wore bright sun dresses they already had, my friend played bongos, we got married in our bare feet....most beautiful and stress free wedding ever. All of our guests were really moved by the ceremony and how genuine it was without all of the wedding day melt downs about the wrong color napkins!! :) we explained our situation to the family that ran our fave returaunt and they put together a vegetarian buffet for us and our guests on the cheap and decorated their patio, my bridesmaids made origami hearts for the tables...mom made the cake. All together we spent less than 300 on the whole thing (in San Diego) and it was seriously the best day ever. 

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:21 PM
Also, look into places that only charge a deposit. We got married at the courthouse when we got out license and just had his brother put on a suit and "perform" the ceremony. We got married in the community center. A $50 deposit that we got back after it was cleaned. We didn't even have to give cash. Just wrote them a check which they held until it was over that we then voided and shredded.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:26 PM

You can always get a friend to do photos.  I love taking pictures on my camera and it isn't the fanciest but it takes some GREAT shots!

You can do the cake.  My mom makes marshmellow fondant that looks like the stuff professionals use and its cheap and easy to make.  Its easy to do a 3 tiered square cake out of 9x13in pans.  

Flowers you can also do yourself.  I prefer fake b/c they last forever!  

If the wedding isn't until March then you can start doing things now and putting back like $5 a week to help with the cost.  My wedding was done outside in the middle of my husband's parent's field.  It was GORGEOUS and FREE!!!! :)  There is so much you can do yourself.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)