Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Messy rooms

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:14 PM
  • 12 Replies

My 7 year old daughter is a SLOB! I despise having to clean her bedroom, and it's like pulling teeth getting her to clean it herself. There is always trash thrown down in the floor or hid in corners, and dirty laundry everywhere (not to mention she hides it in the drawers with her clean clothes & in the bottom of her closet), as well as stuff being piled on the top of her dresser & bookshelf. I can handle the toys but the filth drives me bonkers! No matter what I try to punish her with, NOTHING seems to work. Any advice about how to get her to stop being such a slob and pick up after herself and how to deal with this?

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sagi07
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I quit fighting with my slobs(8, 11)....had the same prob, I look in their room its like clothes papers, video games EVERYWHERE! They dont have any toys, cuz they out grew the ones they had so I gave them to dontations the have built in closets/drawers and clothes and shoes are still all on the floor...urrgggg!! my kids share a room so thats double the mess, Im like where does all this paper on the floor come from

~Live ❤♪♫♪❤Laugh❤♪♫♪❤Love❤♪♫♪❤

princesskelcie2
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:27 PM

My daughters room is the size of a small walk in closet. Her room is never messy. The only thing she has in her room is her bed, dresser which is in the closet because we took the doors off and two small plastic 3 drawer containers with her barbies and barbie clothes in it.  

mom23boys679
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:31 PM

My boys are going to be 5, and 4 this spring and they're the same way ALREADY. I can't even go in there. I clean it once a week unless it's something that needs my immediate attention. I get after them to clean up, but they're technically still toddlers so I can't expect it all.

LPurtell
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:35 PM

- do not allow her to eat in her room

- have a small bookcase .. any book not in the bookcase is given away .. when the bookcase is full -- before she can get a new book, she has to give an older one away

- stuffed animals .. have a bin .. any animals out the bin on clean up day (pick a non-school day .. mayb sat @ 4pm) the animal is taken away ,, and won;t be returned until the animals are cleaned up for the next 2 days

LeeLeeCandleGrl
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:39 PM

My daughter has the same issues and I am going to try your suggestion. They already dont eat in the room.

Quoting LPurtell:

- do not allow her to eat in her room

- have a small bookcase .. any book not in the bookcase is given away .. when the bookcase is full -- before she can get a new book, she has to give an older one away

- stuffed animals .. have a bin .. any animals out the bin on clean up day (pick a non-school day .. mayb sat @ 4pm) the animal is taken away ,, and won;t be returned until the animals are cleaned up for the next 2 days

lioness3e
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Have you sat down with her to discuss the situation at hand?

Maybe she isn't understanding the cleaning process. It takes time. Some kids "get it" and others do not.Some need a visual and other just need to be told.

Do you work with a chore chart and rewards?

Many kids find it boring, getting creative can make it fun.

Also keep in mind she's still young- as she grows she may get better at it.

Each of my children are different in this aspect. I've also learned to lower my expectations with my youngest. She is a natural messy and yes it bugs the hell out of me. I have a career as a professional organizer even with all my training and the systems I've set up for my daughter she's still messy.

Her idea of clean is not the same as my idea of clean. So I've had to tweak my expectations and that in itself has helped with my stress level. I also have the rule keep your door shut so I don't have to look at it.

Keep working with her and try your best to be patient.

A few tips: trash can next to the bed. Rule no food in the room, only a glass for water.

Books, toys, games ect. should be kept in a common area such as a toy room.

Keep only her bedding,clothing and stuff animals and her personal items in the room. Until she can keep control of her things, you have to control them for her. As she gets older maybe she'll be able to handle more.

bluejupalex
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:22 PM

When my daughter was younger, I separated her room into zones - the closet, dresser, desk, bed, and floor.  Mon-Fri, I picked a different zone every day.  I set the timer for 15 minutes, and for that 15 minutes, she had to straighten up that zone.  When the timer went off, she was finished.  Whether it got done or not, she didn't have to do anymore.

On Saturdays, I picked a zone again.  This time for the 15 minutes, she had to detail clean anything in the zone.  (Keep in mind, she was a little older....maybe 11 or 12).  Same deal, though, when the timer went off, she was finished. 

It accomplished several things.  It taught her that I'm good for my word.  If I tell her 15 minutes, it's 15 minutes - no more.  It also gave her a direction.  Instead of looking around at all the mess and wondering where in the world to start, it gave her an area to focus on.  She LOVED having her room always be 15 minutes from company ready, and she loved not having me on her case all the time. 

Like somebody else said, you do have to relax your standards.  You can't go behind her and redo the work, and you have to sincerely praise her for a job well done.  Don't look at the wrinkle on the bed; look at the fact that the bed is made, SHE did it, and YOU didn't have to fight her for it. 

Give it a try, Mama.  You might be surprised.  :-)

ashes2
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Thank you so much for this! I made a chart yesterday & made a list of rules to post on her closet door to remind her things she doesn't need to do. She did great with cleaning up what I told her to do for Thursday. I hope she keeps doing good with it, I'm anxious to see how it works this afternoon when she's home from school. You could have possibly just saved my sanity.. lol. Thanks!!!

Quoting bluejupalex:

When my daughter was younger, I separated her room into zones - the closet, dresser, desk, bed, and floor.  Mon-Fri, I picked a different zone every day.  I set the timer for 15 minutes, and for that 15 minutes, she had to straighten up that zone.  When the timer went off, she was finished.  Whether it got done or not, she didn't have to do anymore.

On Saturdays, I picked a zone again.  This time for the 15 minutes, she had to detail clean anything in the zone.  (Keep in mind, she was a little older....maybe 11 or 12).  Same deal, though, when the timer went off, she was finished. 

It accomplished several things.  It taught her that I'm good for my word.  If I tell her 15 minutes, it's 15 minutes - no more.  It also gave her a direction.  Instead of looking around at all the mess and wondering where in the world to start, it gave her an area to focus on.  She LOVED having her room always be 15 minutes from company ready, and she loved not having me on her case all the time. 

Like somebody else said, you do have to relax your standards.  You can't go behind her and redo the work, and you have to sincerely praise her for a job well done.  Don't look at the wrinkle on the bed; look at the fact that the bed is made, SHE did it, and YOU didn't have to fight her for it. 

Give it a try, Mama.  You might be surprised.  :-)

bluejupalex
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 12:14 PM

LOL I'm glad it helped!  I hope she keeps it up!

Quoting ashes2:

Thank you so much for this! I made a chart yesterday & made a list of rules to post on her closet door to remind her things she doesn't need to do. She did great with cleaning up what I told her to do for Thursday. I hope she keeps doing good with it, I'm anxious to see how it works this afternoon when she's home from school. You could have possibly just saved my sanity.. lol. Thanks!!!

Quoting bluejupalex:

For the love of God and all that's holy,
can we
please chop down the quote tree?

furbabymum
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM

My mom made us clean our rooms every Friday. If we didn't clean we didn't get to leave until we did.

Oh she also threatened to come throw everything on the floor away. She only had to do that once. Getting your fav toys thrown away is a huge wake up call.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)