Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would this sound rude?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:24 PM
  • 30 Replies

My son will be 8 next month. We are trying to plan a small party at home for him so that both my husband and me, and our other kids can be part of it, or at least my 2 yr old, my baby is too young. I am trying to figure out how to word the invitations though as my 2 yr old son has leukemia. Would it sound rude to politely request that they do not bring their child to the party if the child has signs of having a cold or has been exposed to chickenpox or other illnesses. We gave my son an option of just one of us taking him to chuck e cheese for a party or something but he wants his little brother to be part of his party, so would that sound rude, or any better ideas on wording it?

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aamommy2011
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM

no. i think if your invitees are understanding of the situation, then they'll understand that you dont want to go through difficulty with your son. maybe instead of the putting it in the invite, tell them when they call to rsvp.

JoyfulSurprise
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:27 PM

If the people you are inviting know the circumstances of your family they will not be offended by it and I don't think it is rude at all. 

AudrasMommy

To me it doesn't sound rude at all.  As for wording I'm not good at that.

Bethbeth

No I don't think it would be rude. You need to protect your kids.

They should keep sick kids home whether you say it or not, but a lot of people do not know how to be polite these days.

BlssdMama
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I don't think it would be rude.

Meggie-May
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:30 PM
No.. Not rude at all -Completely understandable!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommatink83
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Quoting Bethbeth:

No I don't think it would be rude. You need to protect your kids.

They should keep sick kids home whether you say it or not, but a lot of people do not know how to be polite these days.

You are right, my son's teacher has had to call me a few times because there are parents that send their child to school sick which means my son could possibly bring something home so my 2 yr old has to take preventative antibiotics all the time

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:31 PM

If you're inviting people you know and know you have a child with leukemia, then they will understand. But I have to mention that people can be carrying bacterial and viral germs without showing signs of being sick. The body's incubation period for bacteria and viruses that cause colds and flu is 3-4 days after exposure. So they can transmit it to your children without knowing they have it. I don't mean to make you more paranoid, but it is something you need to consider. Maybe you can have your son wear a hospital mask and try to limit his exposure to others during the party. I understand your older son wants his brother there and that is very admirable of him, but he does need extra protection. I hope it works out for all of you!

lanceandhailey
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Not rude at all. Just say something like .... Because of our middle sons medical history, we strongly encourage all sick chilrden and adults to skip the party at this time. We can set up a play date once your child is better!

or something like that..

Momto3andaAngel
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I dont think it would be rude in the least, if they dont know the whole situtaion i would add a lil note about why in there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)