Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hard Stools/Constipation - Still not better! *EDIT*

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:05 PM
  • 11 Replies

Okay so today my DD (almost 11 months) has been having really hard stools.  Like, she's pooped 5 times but each time she's strained to the point of tears and trembling (it obviously hurts her) and one time she pushed so hard she spit up a little.  Each time the stool has been no bigger than a large marble (the kind you use to shoot with, you know?).  I have to put diaper rash cream on her little bum to make it stop hurting each time. After each episode she is back to her happy-go-lucky self.  

I think it has to do with the change in formula but the store we can afford formula from stopped selling what we normally get. We normally get the Parent's Choice Premium but had to switch Parent's Choice Older Infants/Toddlers 9-24 months.  

I know it is too early to switch to regular milk and as I said we've run out of other options for formula.  Is there anything I can do to help my DD with her hard to pass stool? Any medicine or home remedy? Anything?

**This continued two more times yesterday and then already once this morning.  This morning there was a very small trace of blood.  The stool is the consistency of hard clay.  I tried prune juice last night and she only drank a few drinks before deciding she didn't like it.  Gave her veggies only for dinner last night and today it is only fruit for breakfast.  I'll see if she'll drink the prune juice again.  Is there ANYTHING else I can do?  When is this problem bad enough to consult a doctor?

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Italianmamiof3
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Apple juice or plum juice will make her poop

JoyfulSurprise
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:27 PM

BUMP!

JoyfulSurprise
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM

BUMP!

windi85
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 11:37 AM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chloesmom637
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM
Same problem with mine she is 16mths then dr told us to give her mirlex(?) But I wouldnt recommend to do that without checking with her dr first
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raleighmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Add 1/2 ounce  to an ounce of prune juice to her bottle instead of giving it to her straight.  Pear juice also works.  You can find it in the baby section at most groceries stores. 

latlor
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I would call the dr. She shouldn't be straining so much. Maybe they can suggest using a suppository. Also, try the juice 1 oz every hr instead of a whole bottle at once. Or try fruits that start with P for Poop or Apricot. Mine always goes better with applesauce though. She has the rabbit pebbles sometimes also. It makes me feel so bad. Hope your little one feels better soon.

lowrider08
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Water Water Water. massage her tummy. Also give her a mix of prune and apple straight.. Avoid bananas and cheese. If she eats cheese. Maybe there is a formula with low iron.

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2010 at 11:56 AM

poor baby :( my DD had severe constipation when i switched her to formula, one thing that worked was mixing the ready made formula in with the powder formula

in the end, a doc gave us a script for miralax,and i had to put that in her bottles...my little girl has a hemmoroid that she got at 4 months

loverbugsmommy
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 11:57 AM
Walmart is the only one that sells parents choice, so i assume you get it there. You might have to go back to infant formula, the toddler formula might be too hard for her to digest
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)