Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

COLLEGES?!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:31 PM
  • 25 Replies

My daughter is a junior in high school and is creating a list of colleges she wants to go to. We've checked the average GPA going into the university, the ranking, and other factors. I don't know anything about these universities that she wants to attend?? Do you all???

Vanderbilt University (I know this is an AMAZING school!)

Humboldt State University

Southern Utah University

California Polytechnic State University (San Luis Obispo)

Francis Marion University

College at Brockport: NY

Western Washington University

Appalachain State University

Binghamton University

Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania

She wants to major in Elementary Education or Early Childhood Education. Any other suggestions? I don't know how to help her figure out which colleges are worthwhile.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LancesMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM

No I don't You could check their websites though. It may help some

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:39 AM

That's a pretty big list  :-)   I don't really have any answers, sorry! Here's a bump though, maybe some other mom's can help a bit more! Good luck!!!

2milesboys
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:44 AM

that is a big list, my list wasnt near as big, have her write a pros/con list and shorten it alittle to the top 3 she wants to attend and go from there

Beckymk
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Quoting sbeyer94:

My daughter is a junior in high school and is creating a list of colleges she wants to go to. We've checked the average GPA going into the university, the ranking, and other factors. I don't know anything about these universities that she wants to attend?? Do you all???

Vanderbilt University (I know this is an AMAZING school!)

She wants to major in Elementary Education or Early Childhood Education. Any other suggestions? I don't know how to help her figure out which colleges are worthwhile.

I don't know that much about the schools listed but we are going to be visiting Vanderbilt soon as that is the one my DD keeps gravitating toward (that is the one in TN right?   Just want to make sure there aren't 2 schools with the same name!).

My DD is a Junior also, so we plan on going down there during Christmas break depending on work schedules and then I know Jan. 17 they are having a special visit day that we are hoping to attend.

My DD wants to be a theatre major though so completely different set of classes/paths than Education would take.

I know there are college days our school holds, unfortunately, we have never been able to make one of them.

Good Luck.    I never did this type of research when I was in school (went to the local community college on a scholarship so had no need to look at a 4-year one) so looking at the colleges is a whole new process for me.

Becky
Mom to 1 girl (16) & 3 boys (13, 10 & 7)
Come join us for a fundraising pageant this summer, all proceeds go to Shriners Hospitals for Children.

Send out a free REAL greeting card to someone in the mail today!!  http://www.summershinecard.webs.com/

starfilled
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:39 AM

CA Poly is a great school, my best friend from elementary went there. 

4kidz916
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Appalachian State is a good school.  My daughter looked into that one but decided  against it since it gets so cold in the mountains (we're from the coast of NC).  She decided on East Carolina University which is a good school but it did make #5 on Playboy's biggest party school list. 

Carey2006
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM

AUBURN UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Auburn, Alabama....great Early childhood/elem education program...child study center on campus & a couple other facilities since I've attended like a center in Birmingham. School believes in extension....(research & instruction) Externships, internships.....lots of REAL LIFE, actual experience!!!!!

Small town school but big enough to be a division one school...full of GREAT traditions.....just a very special experience....you're not just an Alumni of the school YOU ARE FAMILY! (www.AUFAMILY.com!)

http://www.auburn.edu/

FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME FOR MORE INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!

*I would suggest that she narrow down to a couple schools and you guys take a road trip this summer and visit them.....be sure to set up appointments with the Financial Aid office as well as academic.

canthaveboys1
by on Dec. 13, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I have no idea. All I know is that where I live we have a huge party school. University of Illinois. I am glad she did not put that on her list.

Carey2006
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2010 at 3:35 PM

file:///C:/Users/Mia/AppData/Local/Temp/11_02childcenter.html

BIRMINGHAM EARLY LEARNING CENTER RENAMED

AUBURN -- The Birmingham Early Learning Center, which is managed by Auburn University, has been renamed the Elmer and Glenda Harris Early Learning Center of Birmingham in recognition of the couple's leadership in initial fund raising and ongoing support of the downtown school.

The renaming of the seven-year-old state-of-the-art childcare learning facility, which is owned by the city of Birmingham, was approved by the center's Board of Directors Harris, retired CEO of Alabama Power Company and an AU alumnus, led efforts to raise some $5 million from Birmingham business and professional organizations that enabled the school to open in 1995.

The $6.5 million school at 15th Street and Seventh Avenue North -- in the heart of Birmingham¹s historic Civil Rights District -- enrolls about 200 children ages six weeks through five years. It is supported by the Birmingham Urban Revitalization Partnership, Inc., and operated by AU as a public-private partnership.

"Elmer Harris' leadership in raising funds and the ongoing support of Elmer and his wife Glenda have been crucial to the success of the Early Learning Center," said Perry Relfe, president of the ELC Board. "The school represents a significant addition to the educational opportunities offered in downtown Birmingham, and the support of the Harrises has been a continuing factor in its growth and acceptance."

The Learning Center -- the first project of the Birmingham Urban Revitalization Partnership, Inc. -- was designed to help revitalize economically distressed areas of Birmingham's urban core.

The Revitalization Partnership initiated a city-wide campaign to obtain corporate sponsorship to help launch the project. Corporate partners purchased child care spaces for their employees. Other partners provided scholarships for children of low-income families, outreach efforts, research, and parent education.

The Department of Human Development and Family Studies in the College of Human Sciences at AU manages the Center. Its two directors, Byran Korth and Robbie Roberts, both hold Ph.D. degrees, and head a staff of 37 full-time teachers, 15 part-time staff members, and administrative and kitchen staff.

The Rev. John Porter, pastor emeritus of the Sixth Avenue Baptist Church, is chairman of the board.

The Center is accredited by the prestigious National Association for the Education of Young Children, the nation¹s largest organization of early childhood educators.

"We have a four-fold mission: to provide quality education and care for young children, support and conduct research, educate college and university students and work collaboratively with the community," says Korth, director of Children's Programs. "Early education and care are available for families working in the greater downtown area. We offer a developmentally appropriate curriculum designed to help children develop skills in emotional, social, creative, cognitive, and physical areas. In addition, we serve as a research facility where professionals from throughout the country come to study issues relating to child growth and development, family relations, early childhood education, and the family-work interface."

"We also have training and outreach missions," adds Roberts, director of Teacher Training and Outreach. "The Center provides observation, training, and internship opportunities for over 400 students from 20 to 25 colleges and universities each year."

Outreach activities include parenting and training for teachers and directors of other Birmingham metro centers. The center provides a mentor site for 25 metro area centers as part of a quality child care improvement program. The center furnishes apartments for students and researchers to use during internships and when conducting research. Also, each year the center hosts a teacher from Switzerland who helps bring a multi-culturally focus to the center.

Each of the center's 16 classrooms is equipped with developmentally appropriate child development learning materials designed to expose children to math, literacy, science, art and social skills in an interactive atmosphere that promotes fun while learning. The rooms are staffed with teachers holding a four-year degree in childhood development or early childhood education. Teacher assistants hold either an associate degree or child development associate credential. Color security cameras are located in each classroom and the inner courtyard playgrounds, and can be viewed by parents through a monitoring station located in the building¹s lobby.

The center has become a model program showcasing what can be accomplished through the collaborative efforts of business, higher education, and government. Dozens of educators and interested individuals from 25 universities and agencies from the United States, Canada, France and Portugal toured the facility when it hosted a conference funded by the National Science Foundation on the Transition from Childhood to the Workforce.

Carey2006
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Quoting canthaveboys1:

I have no idea. All I know is that where I live we have a huge party school. University of Illinois. I am glad she did not put that on her list.

Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania...is pretty much like that...I went out with a guy who went there...he did NOT sell me on that school!!!!! (seemed to be more of a backup plan for him to just finish somewhere....he originally started at FSU!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)