Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think is the best discipline techniques for a 20 month old to 3 year olds??

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:59 AM
  • 12 Replies

What do you think is the best discipline technique for a 20 month old?

I tried time out he just moves away, spanking tries to slap back. redirection will just continue to do the same things.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
connorsmom2009
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:07 AM

bump

abstractmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:08 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Spanking works for mine.  I think it depends on the child.  When he moves away in time out do you move him back?

connorsmom2009
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:09 AM

usually but hes pretty persistent on moving away

mamakenzi
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Quoting connorsmom2009:

usually but hes pretty persistent on moving away

You have to be more persistent.  We have had a 2 hour time out session before.  Everytime she moved I moved her back, and I stood right there.  It's strictly a battle of the wills.

Kenzi

I'm just me, love it or hate it, ask me if I care...whatev!

http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

connorsmom2009
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:13 AM

yeah, sometimes i want to just let him run wild but i know thats notthe best forhim like the other day in the car thewhole time whine whine and i think he knew he was getiing the best out of me.. but sometimes it drives me batty

mamakenzi
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Quoting connorsmom2009:

yeah, sometimes i want to just let him run wild but i know thats notthe best forhim like the other day in the car thewhole time whine whine and i think he knew he was getiing the best out of me.. but sometimes it drives me batty

It's hard and it sucks.  Just remember that the struggle now will pay off later.

Kenzi

I'm just me, love it or hate it, ask me if I care...whatev!

http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

huntin_mama
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Rather than redirection, remove him from the situation...I used to put my DD in her highchair/booster seat, strapped in and in time out in corner or whatever...but be careful not to put too close to wall b/c she tried to kick and almost fell over....but from what her doc told me, it's attention they are looking for so the continuous dicipline is giving them what they want and so they keep doing it,even the bad stuff so when they do stuff like that, completely ignore them other than saying NO and putting them in time out, away from any and all human contact. Give lots of good attention when doing good things or not doing bad things...good luck!

lifetimelove
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:38 AM
I don't use time outs much until they're older, and even then it's more of a cool down to think about thinks. Before 3 we use distraction, remove from the situation, natural consequences, and discuss expectations and behavior. We start all of those as soon as they're mobile. And we have very well-behaved children. Not perfect, but good. =) we don't spank as a method of discipline. We have spanked, but we made a commitment not to because we believe it's not effective, sends the wrong message, and lacks creativity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RubysMommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:06 AM
I'm right there with you. My ds is 18 months and my dd is 4. When we try to discipline my ds he laughs like it's a game and I'm telling you he is too cute to keep a straight face. Our problem is our stairs, he is constantly trying to climb them and no matter what we put in front of them he's always climbing them. I've tried the spanking over the diaper but he just laughs. I hate that I'm always yelling at my kids. I'm really trying to talk to them more and explain things better but I will admit the frustration gets the better of me most of the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)