Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insurance Question

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:23 AM
  • 6 Replies

My husband has insurance on the kids and himself through his work,  I believe its blue cross blue sheild.  if he alone had the insurance it would be free but with the 2 kids it costs over $300 a month.  I just found out that through my work for family (me, my husband and two kids) it would only be $75 a month.  We haven't had to have either of our works insurance because before we were on military insurance because he was deployed.  His insurance has a certain date that we can make changes on it and its in July of this year.  Is there any way we could cancel his insurance before then?  I can add them to my insurance because we just got off the military insurance and that constitutes a change can be made for me.  We honestly cannot afford the $300 a month insurance.  If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommamiaria
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:16 AM

Group policies are different than individual since the premium is usually deducted from your paycheck and there are certain procedures that the employer must follow. We are also with Blue Cross/Blue Shield and my husband's employer deducts $130 a week but we also get Dental, Disability, Life Insurance and Vision Care. You should contact Blue Cross and maybe ask them but I have a feeling you may have to wait until July. Perhaps if you show proof that you are covered elsewhere they can cancel sooner but you will have to confirm that first. Hope you can work it out.

Melissa_anne
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:22 AM

Thank you so much!  It's killing us paying that much for insurance.  I should have checked with my insurance before he signed them up through his work.  it was our mistake.

Iluvjandkplus8
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:12 AM
You have to have a qualifying event-birth, marriage, death... I'm pretty sure that without that you have to wait until open enrollment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katt709
by Katharine on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:05 AM

You can't change coverage until open enrollment unless there is a major life change - divorce/marriage, birth of child, cancellation of other insurance, etc. If the drop from military coverage was less than 30 days ago, then that would be good enough to add you and them to your coverage. However, since they are already on his insurance you'll have to wait unitl open enrollment. If you cannot pay for it - you'll need to get a hardship exemption in order to drop coverage. You're HR person should be able to help with that. You'll have to prove that you can't afford it with documented bills, check stubs, etc. Once you drop coverage AND have the cancellation of coverage letter in your hand (which will be sent to you from the insurance company), then you have 30 days to enroll coverage under your insurance plan. 

HTH. Good luck.

ETA: I think what I wrote was confusing. To enroll in your plan - you need to drop coverage - but you do not have to wait until you get the cancellation letter to enroll. They will require that you send it to them though, once you get it. 

Bonnie
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Make sure to read the fine print and compare policies, too! A cheaper monthly fee doesn't necessarily mean better insurance!

P.S. I'm jealous. Our family plan runs us just over 600 a month. Almost can't afford to get sick!

Melissa_anne
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Thank you ladies! Katt i understood it lol, insurance is always confusing and we will have to look into the HR thing.

Bonnie, yeah we have compaired them and i have talked to my co-workers about it and they all admit we have a really good insurance plan.  I just wish the open enrollment was earlier than july. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)