Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BIG Decision for my son. What to do????? **UPDATE**

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM
  • 16 Replies

My son was born 15 days after most schools deadlines to start school so he had 2 yrs of HeadStart and even there he was ahead of all the other students. We tried for the last 3 yrs to either have my son moved up in grades or get him into a charter school. He has so much trouble being good when he is bored to death. The teacher has given him plenty of extra work to do to keep him busy.  He always seems to get in trouble.

I finally get the phone call this morning that there is an opening at the Charter School. Now Hubby and I need to decide to take our son out of school in the middle of the year. There are a lot of factors to decide. It IS the best thing for our son to go to this school, he would be bussed to and from school so we would have to find out where and time the bus would pick him up/drop off. His sister, in Kindergarten, would still be going to the other school and I am the one who picks up my kids and my neighbors kids after school. There is NO garantee that she would be "Sistered in" next school year.  There is so much to think about but I know the most important is what is best for our son and to work around what is best for him.  He is not shy at all so I know he will make friends fast.

Oh man what to do????

**UPDATE**

We are going for it. We sat Tripp down and talked to him last night. He is kind of reluctant to go but we explained how it would be better for him, read to him reviews of the school of how happy kids are and he said he would be willing to give it a shot.  We also told him if he doesn't like we can put him back at his old school but feel he will do a lot better academically at this school. I am going to buy him an address book so on his last day we can ask the teacher if he can pass it around and get all his friends phone numbers. Tripp was kind of upset about our decision and did start to tear up, which made my heart break. Then on his way to CCD Class I said to him he can still play with his friend Ty (across the street) and he was like "What??? I thought we had to move?" I said "No silly we will stay where we are at you will just be at a new school"  That made him feel a lot better. We are just waiting for everything to come in the mail now and get everything situated. I am so nervous and anxious. I just hope this will change his behaviors if it doesn't then we do know it wasn't boredom. I have to go up to the school today to put Lexi in for the Lottery for next year. I really do hope she get Sistered in but that will suck for my neighbor because she will need to find someone to pick up her kids.

Rayna (Pronounced Renee)

http://www.cafemom.com/group/WAHMC

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starfilled
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:03 AM

If he gets "plenty of extra work to do" how do you know his behavior isn't related to his immaturity rather than being bored... IMO, from what you've written here, it sounds like he shouldn't move up a grade but stay in the grade his 15 days late b-day puts him in.  Boys have a harder time adjusting to school because, generally, they are less mature.

LuvHugs429
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Quoting starfilled:

If he gets "plenty of extra work to do" how do you know his behavior isn't related to his immaturity rather than being bored... IMO, from what you've written here, it sounds like he shouldn't move up a grade but stay in the grade his 15 days late b-day puts him in.  Boys have a harder time adjusting to school because, generally, they are less mature.

I know my son if he is with kids that are younger than him and immature thats hwo he acts. If he is around older kids who act more mature its how he is. I think a kid can only handle so much extra work. You know. How mature is an 8yr old boy suppose to be?

Rayna (Pronounced Renee)

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I'd say move him.  Good luck!

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I'd give it a shot if it's doable. If it doesn't work out you can always put him back next year.

crazynut
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:22 AM

move him!! we moved durning the middle of a school yr and my kids did fine... you have some fine tuning to figure out, but you can do it... He needs more stimulation....

My family!!

saladgirl71
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:23 AM

If you can accommodate the pick up/drop off, I would move him to the charter school.  I moved my high school son in the middle of the year in 10th grade and he adapted well, even at his age.  And, his grades improved!!!

In my very humble opinion, at his age, I think that it is the boredom and not the immaturity.   With a charter school, this will be more of a lateral move with a more challenging curriculum so I can't see how this could be anything but good.

rbailey2414
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I totally understand you here!! My son is 4.5 and he is the EXACT same way already. he is soooo smart- all the teachers say so as well. He is in daycare headstart since I work fulltime, but there was a huge part of last year where he was misbehaving SOO much in the 4yo class. My son is taller than EVERY kid in that class, even though he is the same age. I suggested to them trying the 5yo class and see what happens, and he is PERFECT in that class. He gets along with everyone, he has had a total behavior change, and he seems so happy with the advancement. I think you should make the switch for your son- I bet it would show a world of difference in him. Hopefully his sis can move right along with him next year.

Quoting LuvHugs429:

Quoting starfilled:

I know my son if he is with kids that are younger than him and immature thats hwo he acts. If he is around older kids who act more mature its how he is. I think a kid can only handle so much extra work. You know. How mature is an 8yr old boy suppose to be?

LuvHugs429
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:29 AM

The teachers at HeadStart told us that if we didnt get our son in a Charter School or Private School we would have this trouble so I know its not the immaturity that the Principal and his Kindergarten teacher thought it was.

Quoting rbailey2414:

I totally understand you here!! My son is 4.5 and he is the EXACT same way already. he is soooo smart- all the teachers say so as well. He is in daycare headstart since I work fulltime, but there was a huge part of last year where he was misbehaving SOO much in the 4yo class. My son is taller than EVERY kid in that class, even though he is the same age. I suggested to them trying the 5yo class and see what happens, and he is PERFECT in that class. He gets along with everyone, he has had a total behavior change, and he seems so happy with the advancement. I think you should make the switch for your son- I bet it would show a world of difference in him. Hopefully his sis can move right along with him next year.

Quoting LuvHugs429:

Quoting starfilled:

Rayna (Pronounced Renee)

sweettigeress
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I'm not sure what you should do. 

rbailey2414
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM

exactly. Same with my son. He was just simply frustrated with not being able to understand the other kids in his class- a lot of them couldnt carry on a conversation very well as they were still having some speach problems at 4. He seems relieved in the 5yo class because he can talk to them!! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)