Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice about welcoming new cats into our home, please?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:32 AM
  • 14 Replies

We are adopting two kittens (6 and 5 months) today from an animal adoption group after considerable discussion and their checking our credentials and so forth. The cats are neutered and are up to date on shots and have been tested for nasty diseases, and no worms, etc.

We have an older cat at home, Chewie, who is 8. Do you have advice for us for when we bring the new cats home? They are buddies, by the way, which is why we ended up with two instead of one, we just couldn't separate the two little friends.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweettigeress
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I heard it's best to keep them apart at first. (In separate rooms.) Then introduce them slowly. Let them be together for about 5 minutes a day then gradually go up from there depending on if they hiss or whatever. If they take to one another...then have them spend a bit more time together. Then when they get totally used to each other have them together.

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM

No advice but congrats on the new cats! :-)

jillbailey26
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Give the new cats a "safe haven".  Somewhere they can go and be safe from everything.  When they're in there, don't let anyone (kids mostly, lol) go and drag them out.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM

When we brought are new cat home, we just let her sniff around and brought the older cat to her to introduce them, showed her where the litter was and let them be. They are usually fine together, but come around 8 to 10 pm it sounds like a UFC match going on.  You may want to pay a litttle extra attention to the older cat for a few days, untill she is used to the change so she does not get her nose bent out of shape ,so to speak. I think it is the older one you need to worry about, the kittens will check things out and be fine. the older cat has to share her space now. Congrats on the new kittens.

jillbailey26
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Oh and stock up on the litter boxes, lol.  You're supposed to have one per cat, per level of the house.  So if you live in a 2 story house, you need 6 boxes.  Three downstairs and three upstairs.  That's what I was told by our vet.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

offrdngal
by Terri on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I know they say to "keep them in a separate room at first"..but that's a bunch hooey.  I have five cats, so I"m not stupid with this.

When you bring them home, unlock/open the carriers.  The kittens probably won't come out, for a few minutes.  Let Chewie come up to them and sniff around.  Yes, I am positive that Chewie will hiss and growl.  The kittens will come out of the carriers wanting to wander around their home.  Let them.  Let Chewie follow them around (sniffing, growling and hissing).  I promise you...Chewie will not intentionally hurt them.  Chewie may swat at them...this is just letting them know his place on the "food chain" (as I call it). LOL  I usually tell people to separate the new kitten, when you are not home (at first) but since your kittens are 5 & 6 months old, they are big enough to "hold their own" against Chewie.  They will all be FINE.  You'll see, within a week, those kittens will be chasing Chewie around the house.  Yes there will always be growling and hissing but no one is out to get anyone.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I've read you are suppose to keep the new cats in a separate room with their food bowl near the door so the cats can get use to each others smell.  My dd has always had a lot of cats and she just keeps the new ones in a kennel for a few hours and then lets them out.  Good luck!

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:02 AM

That's a good idea to keep the food bowl near the door so they all can smell each other.

Quoting jabs54:

I've read you are suppose to keep the new cats in a separate room with their food bowl near the door so the cats can get use to each others smell.  My dd has always had a lot of cats and she just keeps the new ones in a kennel for a few hours and then lets them out.  Good luck!

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Thank you.  This is probably what I would have done only one of the kittens had a "problem" on the way home -  the car may never be the same again- so I decided to keep them isolated. And now the other kitten has a bit of a respiratory infection, and the vet said to keep them away from Chewie for a week.

Quoting offrdngal:

I know they say to "keep them in a separate room at first"..but that's a bunch hooey.  I have five cats, so I"m not stupid with this.

When you bring them home, unlock/open the carriers.  The kittens probably won't come out, for a few minutes.  Let Chewie come up to them and sniff around.  Yes, I am positive that Chewie will hiss and growl.  The kittens will come out of the carriers wanting to wander around their home.  Let them.  Let Chewie follow them around (sniffing, growling and hissing).  I promise you...Chewie will not intentionally hurt them.  Chewie may swat at them...this is just letting them know his place on the "food chain" (as I call it). LOL  I usually tell people to separate the new kitten, when you are not home (at first) but since your kittens are 5 & 6 months old, they are big enough to "hold their own" against Chewie.  They will all be FINE.  You'll see, within a week, those kittens will be chasing Chewie around the house.  Yes there will always be growling and hissing but no one is out to get anyone.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Woah.  Thanks for the advice. We have three. Right now one in the room where the kittens are, and two downstairs in the basement.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Oh and stock up on the litter boxes, lol.  You're supposed to have one per cat, per level of the house.  So if you live in a 2 story house, you need 6 boxes.  Three downstairs and three upstairs.  That's what I was told by our vet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)