Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shut up!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM
  • 9 Replies
so my daughter just turned 3 this past december and she recently picked up the word shut up, and says it all the time and tells us to, she is already tough to discipline bc she has the i dont care ill do whatever and just take the punishment, like she will do something she knows shes not suppse then go put herself in timeout or give u her hand to pop, i know someone who said her son is like that and hes been like that since a child and hes a teen now anyways im just looking for suggestions on getting her to stop saying shut up, tia
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Momsthename0609
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Have you tried a marble jar? Basically she gets so many marbles for a good behaviour and once the jar is full she gets a special treat. My oldest DS is a pain to discipline because things stop working with him pretty fast. It was suggested to me to help him listen. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

How`s my pregnancy doing?

Momsthename0609
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Quoting Momsthename0609:

Have you tried a marble jar? Basically she gets so many marbles for a good behaviour and once the jar is full she gets a special treat. My oldest DS is a pain to discipline because things stop working with him pretty fast. It was suggested to me to help him listen. 

Also try not to use negatives

Eg, instead of "You will NOT use the word shut up", use something like "You will get so many marbles for using nice words" and explain to her what nice words are. This helps with my DS because instead of focusing on the bad behaviour it focuses on the good. All I need to do is remind him that his behaviour isn't appropriate and it gets him thinking. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

How`s my pregnancy doing?

canthaveboys1
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I would just correct the behavior. When she says it tell her its not nice and to say be quiet.

mamakenzi
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM
My 3 year old picked it up. I told her it was a naughty word and ignore it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrittMom2B
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM

This.  Normally if my 2 year old says something that we don't approve of we immediatly tell him it's a bad word and that he is not to use it.  It's amazing how quickly he picks up on it and then corrects other people when they say it.

Quoting mamakenzi:

My 3 year old picked it up. I told her it was a naughty word and ignore it.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM

My 2 1/2 year old doesn't say bad stuff, but he does yell.  Meanly.  Every time he does it, I pull him aside, talk to him quietly to figure out what's going on (usually he's just upset about something Sissy did), and remind him that we don't yell at each other.  It's    s   l    o   w   l   y   working.  :)

Shellness
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Ignore it when she says it and it will become boring to her....

haymama
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:29 PM
thanks for the suggestions, we have told her its a bad word and not nice to say etc (told her this calmly) and that hasnt worked but we will try yalls suggestions and see what works, thank yall for the help
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:36 PM

my daughter used to send herself to timeouts too..obviously for us timeouts weren't working, so i had to start taking away her toys. and after a while of doing that, she totally got her at together!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)