Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

And then there were two...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM
  • 7 Replies

I just gave birth to my second child Silas about 5 days ago. My oldest, Kaleb, age 3 won't have anything to do with him. Kaleb helps me make bottles and gets things for me, but he won't come near the baby. I try to keep Kaleb as involved as much as I can, but he just gives attitude. I need help. I know he will come around, but I just need advice on how to make things a little easier. So mommas, any advice on how you managed two kids would be great. It would also help to have my days a little easier. =]

Thanks ladies!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
BrittMom2B
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I had my 2nd DS in August and my 1st DS was 2 in August.  He was the exact same way.  I was very worried that he would always hate/resent his brother but here we are 6 months later and he LOVES him.  He is constantly talking to him, playing with him, kissing him.  It just takes time for them to adjust.  It literally took a good 4 months for him to come around.  We just didn't push it on him.  If he wanted to be near him good if not that was okay too.  I would continue to do what you are doing as far as getting him involved in helping and he will come around before you know it!  Good luck and congrats on new baby!

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM

bump I  only have one child, I have no idea. good luck 

Rlambert6002
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM

He will come around...just keep him as involved as he will be like you are doing. It's all new to him and once he starts to get comfortable he will have more to do with the new arrival.

Baby sister to Jessee, Claudia, Gage, Randi, Alex, Clint, Mason and Lucas. Aunt to Brianna and Jessee Glen.

LSurvivor78
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM
I have 4 kiddo's. It takes time for older siblings to adjust. My son who just turned 2, was really jealous at first. Sometimes he was ok, other times he would throw things at me, pull my hair, try to smack the baby.. But now the baby is 8wks old and when he cries, my 2 y/o is the first one to come screaming "mommma!!! Baby!!!" And run around to find a binky for him.. Or put a blanket on him.. Or gently rub his head .. And now he will sit on the couch, hold his arms out and say PLEASE!!! He wants to hold his little brother all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:15 PM

It's a good start that he helps make the bottles and get stuff for you..Will he help feed his baby brother?? Is he scared hes going to hurt him? Does he think he will bite? lol, my daughter is 6..and my brother and his wife had a baby 5 weeks ago, and she will not really go near him either..we just keep telling her that "its ok, he wont bite ya" and a couple weeks ago we went out, and i asked her to pick out a special something for her baby cousin, she did, and then when they came over, she gave it to him, and she played with him, and even held him!!  it just takes time for them to get used to the new lil bundle of joy!

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM

i think it just depends on the kid..my oldest was 17 months when my 2nd was born...she was fine initially...was very loving on her, wanting to hold her, etc...then, once all the family left..she like, flipped a switch and got REALLY jealous...tried to really hurt her baby sister(bit her in the head, tried to sit on her during tummy time, smacked her with a block when i was nursing her one time) once baby#2 hit about 6 months the dynamics changed and things got MUCH better!

now im expecting #3...my kids will be 4 yrs and 3 yrs old..i know my oldest will be just fine, my bff has a month old little girl, and she is very sweet and loving to her, keeps asking me when'her' baby will be here...im not so sure how my youngest will be...but i will have TONS more help this time than i did last time..

just keep getting him as involved as he wants to be, having him help you with the baby is perfect, make sure to carve out special time for just him and you..try to do it when the baby is awake too..like maybe in a swing  or bouncy seat..or while baby is having tummy time...even if its just to read a book with him..it will help him to know that he is still important in your life

brittbaby
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM

He will give him a kiss sometimes. Other then that, he does not want to go near him. Kaleb won't even come near me when I have the baby. He is stuck up his dads butt because I have the baby the most. Kaleb won't sit by my anymore and yells at me to put the baby down. Nothing I can do about that but say sorry man, got to feed Silas. I know he will come around soon. Kaleb talks about his baby brother a lot. Maybe he is scared that he will break. He does freak out when Silas cries. Ugh, hopefully this doesn't last long. I want my little man back and the attitude to go away!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)