Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I do now that my youngest looks like he may have a developing drug problem?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM
  • 6 Replies

OK, so I have 4 kids, and 3 have either finished high school, or are in the middle of it. THOSE guys I have worried about who they were involved with, and what they were getting into, but none of them ever really got into any trouble.

Then comes along my youngest child.  He was diagnosed as ADD and is not medicated.  He tried it for awhile, and then refused to take any more.  He had horrible grades for a while, but this year he began doing much better until this semester.  Suddenly, last week we were called into the school because he and some other kids were caught with Ambien that another boy had brought to school. My kid actually had not taken it, and it looked like he just got caught with a bad crowd.  THIS week we got called in again with allegations of HUFFING AXE SPRAY!!!!  He had gotten several bottles of the crap for christmas from several family members because honestly he did not like baths for quite a while, and the boy stank.

Because of the suspension from last week, he is required to take drug and alcohol classes from the state, and they tested his susceptability.  He came up with zeroes meaning he was at a very low risk for drug abuse.  Ok, so now it just looks like he is lying and manipulative.  The tests also said that he has a high risk for anger and suicidal ideation whenever I yell at him. 

So now I am lost.  What can I do?  I cant yell at him, or get hard on him.  When I did that with his older sister, she just moved to grandma's house.  Everyone I know who has had to deal with this knows that what THEY tried did not work at all or ended badly.  So what options are there to correct the behavior?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
klespeedy0205
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Huffing is very dangerous.  My advice:  be nosey, be involved and monitor.  Stop trying to "upset" the children.  Be a parent and be annoying and involved.  Its better to be on a teens nerves than wish you had that chance again.  Get him professional help as well. 

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:46 PM

If I thought my child was at serious risk due to his associations at school, I'd probably pull him out of school and enroll him in virtual school or homeschool so I could monitor him better.

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:50 PM
So sorry! No idea how to help, I just wanted to say I hope you get some answers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Armymom134
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Well I would get him into counseling and tell your doctor that you would like him tested for illegal drugs that could be in his system. If he is doing drugs I would try rehab....its nothing to mess around with, my bff's stepsister was doing drugs and when my BFF tried telling her dad and Stepmom about it they put it off and wouldn't believe her, then the step sister was arrested and charged with drug charges....they finally put her in rehab but it was too late because no sooner than she got out, she started doing drugs again.

taraniccole
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:30 PM
I really dont have any advice I am looking for help with my 16 yo who has basically had the same issues now its anger. I will pray for us! Wish I had answers to share!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jacobsproudmom
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:51 AM
very well said. i agree

Quoting klespeedy0205:

Huffing is very dangerous.  My advice:  be nosey, be involved and monitor.  Stop trying to "upset" the children.  Be a parent and be annoying and involved.  Its better to be on a teens nerves than wish you had that chance again.  Get him professional help as well. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)