Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I need an idea on how to cook steak...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM
  • 9 Replies

I have a big piece of top round steak, and I can't grill it, there is like 8 inches of snow outside and its freakin cold, so all I have is the stove or oven...I would like it to be really tender as top round can get tough if its over cooked....Any ideas ladies???

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
C8Baxter
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:50 PM
Sear it on the stove (have a cast iron skillet) then transfer to oven to finish cooking it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommysince2010
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:51 PM

That's what I would do!

Quoting C8Baxter:

Sear it on the stove (have a cast iron skillet) then transfer to oven to finish cooking it.

kiddo0820
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:52 PM

What I do is I cook it for 10 minutes on both sides then put it in the oven with cream of mushroom soup on it...it's so good!

chcon
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:55 PM
We have our grill parked in the garage so we can just open the door, roll it out to the driveway, and grill out all year. Of course, not in snowstorm or rainstorm, but cold, sure. :)

The other suggestions sounded good to me. We also have a "grill" pan to use on the stove that works very well. I've made hamburgers and steaks just like on the grill using it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Armymom134
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Quoting C8Baxter:

I will have to try this. We usually grill, so I usually don't cook steak inside.

mamakenzi
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Quoting C8Baxter:

This or the grill pan idea.

Kenzi

I'm just me, love it or hate it, ask me if I care...whatev!

http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

Dark-N-Prego
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I always brown it on the stove first than put it in the oven in wrapped in aluminum foil with either a little water or some type of broth to keep it tender.

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:02 PM

YES....Sear and finish in the oven.

Salt-pepper and slight bit of oil on meat....heat oven to 400, then heat pan until it's very hot.  2 minutes per side over high heat on stove, into the hot oven for 4 minutes per side, let sit for at least 5 minutes.

25beengoodtome
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:04 PM

how do you want to serve it? Simply on a plate, with potatoes and veggies?

Last night, I pan-fried my steaks, then turned the heat lowm added a few TBSP water, and let them steam for 20 minutes. I cut these into bite-sized pieces, served on warm flour tortillas with cheese. So YUM-O!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)