Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with my 5 year old daughter PLEASE!!!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:15 PM
  • 30 Replies

My daughter is 5 and I have been having a really hard time getting through to her about cleaning up after herself and picking up her room. Dont get me wrong I know shes a kid and shes going to make a mess, but in my opinion she is old enough to keep her room tidy and clean up her toys. Well I was doing some deep cleaning today in the kitchen and then put my youngest son down for a nap. After that I went in her room to check on her in her room. well she had EVERY SINGLE toy all over her floor. She had everything pulled out and im not kidding when I say you couldnt see her floor. not only that but she has her boxspring and her matress pulled off her bed on top off all her toys books and movie cases were eveywere(im sure some are even broken) I dont understand why she does this. we have had several heart to heart conversations about her picking up her toys and how it would be so much easier if she would just do it as she goes. Not only that but im 8 months pregnant and my husband is deployed, so we have had the conversation telling her I would really appreciate it if she would do her part. I have tried everything but it always ends up like this. I told her today she had two choices. she could either go pick up her room and put everything away or tomorrow im going in there and taking EVERY toy out of her room. Nothing would be left except for her bed.she chose to have all her toys taken away. I dont get it. I dont want to have to do all that and maybe even give them away after we spend good money to give her a nice and cute room but I guess I will if its whats going to teach her a lesson. Any suggestions or tips? I am at a loss, please help

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
madcrazymom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:21 PM
Take all the toys and have her earn them back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mousesmommy81
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:22 PM
Maybe instead of her playing while you clean, have her clean with you. If she asks to go play in her room just tell her, " sorry, you can't treat your toys nicely and clean up after yourself you can't play in there alone. " maybe that will help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
navywifey08
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Im wondering if thats even going to work because she doesnt care that im taking her toys away. She even chose to have them taken away given the choice

kiddo0820
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:24 PM

I'm not sure what to tell you other then it would be best for you to do what you said and take all her toys out of her room. it sounds to me like she's testing you to see if you'll do it or not.

navywifey08
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM

so then only let her play in there while im in there with her? Its hard for me to get to go in there and play unless my son is sleeping because hes not aloud in his sisters room. I also told her its not fair that she gets to play and make this HUGE mess and then mommy has to clean it all up. As if I dont have enough to do.lol

navywifey08
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM

@ kiddo, yea that kind of what I was thinking to. seemed weird that she didnt care if I took all her toys away, maybe its just her testing me and if I go and do it then she will really care

Kimberly954
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I would think she would eventually start missing her toys.....then she can start earning them back.

Quoting navywifey08:

Im wondering if thats even going to work because she doesnt care that im taking her toys away. She even chose to have them taken away given the choice

Kimberly954
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:28 PM

If you threaten something, you really need to follow through! Otherwise, she will know they are empty threats and she can get what she wants and walk all over you.

Quoting navywifey08:

@ kiddo, yea that kind of what I was thinking to. seemed weird that she didnt care if I took all her toys away, maybe its just her testing me and if I go and do it then she will really care

tripmomofgirls
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:30 PM

I am a neat freak...so I completely understand. I have triplet 7 years girls and I'll be glad to help you out. since I'm new to this site....is there somewhere we could chat?

3totsinabox
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:31 PM
I would just take them away and put them in a tote. She probably will change her mind. I wouldn't even allow to do anything but read and color. When feel she earned a toy give ONE back. Make her pick it up and put in a tote everytime she isn't playing with it. If she doesn't take it away again. Keep doing it till she earns all back. I did this once and never had to do it again. It sucks u have to clean the initial mess,but could work in the long run.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)