Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What degree burn is this and how should I treat it? (may be TMI) (picture in replies-may be disturbing to some)

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM
  • 10 Replies
I burnt myself on my straightener yesterday. It was only red when I got it so I just kind of ignored it. Then a blister formed. I think it might've popped during the day. A picture will be in the replies shortly (I'm on mobile). What degree burn is this and how should I treat it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Amanda.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:20 PM

This is on my knee
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:21 PM
it looks pretty bad! it wouldnt hurt to go to the doctor
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Buggy979
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:21 PM

antibiotic ointment and wrap it with a bandage ... it should be fine... do that for a week or more...

3lilmonsters88
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:22 PM
So neosporin and a bandaid should be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
theycallmemom4
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I think you're suppose to keep it clean and let it air out.

C_Medlin
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM
Cool the burn. Hold the burned area under cool (not cold) running water for 10 or 15 minutes or until the pain subsides. If this is impractical, immerse the burn in cool water or cool it with cold compresses. Cooling the burn reduces swelling by conducting heat away from the skin. Don't put ice on the burn.
Cover the burn with a sterile gauze bandage. Don't use fluffy cotton, or other material that may get lint in the wound. Wrap the gauze loosely to avoid putting pressure on burned skin. Bandaging keeps air off the burn, reduces pain and protects blistered skin.
Take an over-the-counter pain reliever. These include aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), naproxen (Aleve) or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:31 PM

The most important issue with burns is trying to not pop the blister as that keeps germs out.  If the blister popped put anitbiotic ointment on and keep it bandaged.  If it shows signs of getting worse it could be infected and you need to call the doctor.

OutlawMUA
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 2:58 AM
2nd degree.
Put plain yellow mustard on it!
(I'm a paramedic)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coralbeth
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 3:00 AM
I'd say 2nd degree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amyelitza69
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 3:01 AM

I will recommend you to use neosporin and let it have some air because if you put any bandage is going to be always moist and it will not heal. And after heal use vitamin E in ointment so that way you don't have any scar....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)