Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like such a bad mom.

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM
  • 30 Replies
Tonight, Kyra offered me her money she's been saving from her allowance for groceries or rent. She said the reason she hasn't spent it is because she wants to have it to give us if we need it.
Sure, we're having a rough month. But we do NOT talk about our finances around her when we discuss how we're going to make the bills. We have more than enough food so I really don't know where she got the idea that if we run low she needs to cover it.
I felt so bad explaining to her that we're doing fine and as the kid, worrying about bills and such isn't something she has to do. I think she's feeling better about it but I don't know for sure.
Help? Anyone else ever have this problem?
I'm on the verge of teas here because my baby thinks she needs to pay the rent. I remember feeling like that as a kid, how I didn't even want to ask for new panties that fit because I was afraid we didn't have the money for it. I don't want Kyra feeling like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Embers88
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Awe... that's sad! I'm sure she feels better now that you have talked to her about it. I think you should take her out to buy something for herself with her money. I remember feeling that way as a kid too. I used to get all the spare pennies from under the couch cushions and save them in a little can... just in case.

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM
Thanks. I like the idea of taking her to spend it on herself.

Quoting Embers88:

Awe... that's sad! I'm sure she feels better now that you have talked to her about it. I think you should take her out to buy something for herself with her money. I remember feeling that way as a kid too. I used to get all the spare pennies from under the couch cushions and save them in a little can... just in case.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chocolat-smiles
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Aww that is just so sweet of her!!!

TSR
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:51 PM
that doesn't make you a bad mom! kids pick up more than we think they do. if anything, you should feel proud that you're raising such a sweet girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom23boys679
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Just be thankful. You're raising a thoughtful child!

My youngest two are like your daughter but my almost 5 y/o is selfish and it's all 'me, me, me'...he'd never do what your daughter told you. LOL

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM
Thanks :-) I do feel proud, she truly is a very sweet, kind girl! I just can't help but feel bad that she's worried about something so serious.

Quoting TSR:

that doesn't make you a bad mom! kids pick up more than we think they do. if anything, you should feel proud that you're raising such a sweet girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:55 PM
Thanks. I am happy she's such a thoughtful kid. It just seems so much to put on her shoulders at a bit shy of 6 years old. She's always been thoughtful like this, I just never expected such an extreme so young.

Quoting mom23boys679:

Just be thankful. You're raising a thoughtful child!

My youngest two are like your daughter but my almost 5 y/o is selfish and it's all 'me, me, me'...he'd never do what your daughter told you. LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Quoting chocolat-smiles:

Aww that is just so sweet of her!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melisawoosley
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM
I wonder if maybe she saw a film on poverty and how wide spread it is at school maybe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM
The thought crossed my mind but I really don't know if they'd show that in kindergarten. I just wish I knew where it came from since we're very careful about what we say around her. I asked but all I got was "I'm a genious, Mom. I know these things". Not much help :-)

Quoting melisawoosley:

I wonder if maybe she saw a film on poverty and how wide spread it is at school maybe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)