Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my daughter's neck is bleeding!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:58 AM
  • 30 Replies
i have 2 month old twin dd. my oldest has tilted her head to the right pretty much since she's been born. sometimes in her swing it's like a 90 degree angle after she's fallen asleep. when she's awake she moves her head & neck all around. she can hold her head up when she's on her tummy. and when she's on her belly, she switches her head from side to side. i know she CAN move her head & neck alll over but she definitely prefers to tilt her head to the right. it looks like she's being tickled, like she has the willies or something, ya know what i mean?

so, because she tilts her head to the right all the time, and because i had severe overactive letdown a few weeks ago, she'd get milk in her little neck folds. i'd wipe her face of course but i didnt't realize it was hiding in her neck for a few days. i try to keep it as clean & dry as possible but some days are worse than others. whenever i try to wipe it or wash it in the bath or after i'm done feeding her or anything, she stiffens her neck and won't let me get in there.

maybe it's a muscle thing, maybe she gets the willies, maybe she just likes to do it. i dont know for sure. but my question is, how can i keep it even cleaner & even drier?

i just checked it again and it had the most milk ever. its red & raw in there. it has been before but its more red now. when i GENTLY wiped her neck like i always do, i wiped the milk away and saw blood!

its so bad its literally making her neck raw. my poor baby girls neck is BLEEDING because i cant keep it clean & dry enough :'(

her doctor said her neck is fine (of course she moves it all around at the doc office!) so im thinking its a preference thing not a muscle thing.

when it got bad before, i put some baby powder on my finger and rubbed it on her neck. it was SO difficult but it did a good job of drying it up and it almost fully healed. now its back with a vengeance i dont know what to do!

i need to keep milk and bacteria out of there because now she has an open wound and i dont want her to get an infection! im calling the doc later but what do you moms think? how do i keep it clean and dry?????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:01 AM
Baby powder like you said, or wrap a burp cloth there when you feed her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:02 AM

How long since you've seen the doc?  I think I'd go back again. It might be a yeast infection in the folds of her skin.  I'd ask about a PT eval for the neck tilt.  Some simple PT stretches can help.  Torticolitis or something like that, its called, when an imbalance in neck muscles cause that. 

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:04 AM

ive seen something where the neck favors a side. i cant really remember what its called, but i think at her age, it can be fixed maybe with the litte head rest pillows to straighten it out.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:06 AM

wrap a dish towel around her neck during bottle time then remove it. The dish towel should catch all the milk and leave her neck dry

by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:09 AM
My daughters neck got really red and irritated before. We put diaper rash cream on it and it went away
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I know it will be hard but you might need to keep her from doing that for a while.  Ds has a flat spot on one side of the back of his head because he kept his head turned so much as a baby...its not as bad now but it could have and was real bad at first.  I tried doing all sorts of things to keep him from doing it and the only thing I've found was to swaddle him and make him lay on one side.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM

put diaper cream on it and it will make it better quickly (butt paste works great), I had to do that with my dd then when I told the doctor about it he said that is what he would have told me to do.... as for baby powder your suppose to be very careful with it because it can get into their lungs and cause problems most doctors will tell you not to even use baby powder because of all the testing that has been done and the problems it has caused...   good luck momma I'm sure everything will be okay...

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I'd have your doc look at it again.  My son did something similar when he was little and he ended up with a yeast infection on the skin of his neck and we had to get a perscription for nystatin (I think is how you spell it) to get rid of it.

by Cheryl on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Baby poder I would put something there to hold her head up so she isn't tilting that way or use Bag Balm. I feel for you my oldest daughter is 33 and she had this same problem and it made her neck bleed also. I would just prop her head with something to hold it up and used Bag Balm on it to help clear it up.

by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM
Baby powder or even corn starch works to hlep dry up the area. put a cloth down when feeding to catch the milk. GL.
CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)