Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice about religon...confused.....

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:21 AM
  • 21 Replies

Since I have been born I have been Catholic so that is pretty much the only religion I know. Anyways her lately I have been questioning the the Catholic faith not only do I find some flaws in it but I feel like alot of Catholics ( not all) are very fake, think they are better then people and talk about people all the time. I feel like this is very un Christ like to do!!!! My daughter is in 2nd grade and about to do her first confession and first holy communion I do not want her to miss out I just dont know if I agree with everything anymore.. These last 2 years she has done upward basketball and soccer and I find the people at that church so caring and thoughtful and friendly.... What to do please help :(

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lydi
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:23 AM

BUMP.

aamommy2011
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:23 AM

only you can decide whats best for your family when it comes to religion. i dont think you're FORCED to go to church/mass/whatever to keep that religion up in your home.

MrsArnett
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Quoting aamommy2011:

only you can decide whats best for your family when it comes to religion. i dont think you're FORCED to go to church/mass/whatever to keep that religion up in your home.

no im not but i feel like i should allow her to finsh her 1st confession and first holy communion even though i really dont agree with confession but i just dont know

momtoabackc
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I agree with the PP. . The decision is yours.

On that note, you will find people like that in any church.  I wouldn't let that in and of itself be a deciding factor for you.

I understand having differing opinions on the basic fundamentals of the religion.  I decided years ago that the Catholic church was no longer right for me.  I went to other churches and studied their practices and found one that was a better fit.  But again, only you can decide that.

Good luck.

Stefono
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:30 AM

wherever you feel the most comfortable and relaxed is where you and your family will be happy and feel good growing in *&* shareing.'

sarah824
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:33 AM

This. I switched churches 3 or 4 times until I found the one that fit mine and my families needs best. It is a place where I feel 100% comfortable and unjudged. These churches are out there and you just have to be patient and find one for you.

Quoting Stefono:

wherever you feel the most comfortable and relaxed is where you and your family will be happy and feel good growing in *&* shareing.'

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I would make an appointment to talk to the pastor of the church your dd does basketball at.  He should be able to answer your questions about the differences.

bbmkfo03
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I know what you mean. I was born and raised VERY strict Catholic, forced to go to church and not question anything just believe it. I still got married in a Catholic church (to please my parents only) and I did decide to baptize my daughter in the same church. I will let her decide what religion is best for her but I found a preschool by me that teaches kids about Christ without pushing any religion. It's a Lutheran church. I know I want my DD to know about Christ but I refuse to push her into any one religion.

Only you can decide whats best for your DD, and I'm with you I don't agree with confession!

Moms_Angels1960
by Cheryl on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:37 AM

This is NOT meant to be offensive to anyone and if it is I'm sorry but this is how I feel. I feel that alot of Catholics are fake(not all mind you)I feel like they are all out for themselves.

I am not this relgion but my husband is or was he grew up in Minnesota and when he came to Nebraska he said things are so different and he started questioning his faith also to which he now claims not to be Catholic anymore well I guess since he didn't get an annulment from his 1st marriage and married me that kind of ousted him anyway.

Anyway, you said about alot of what my husband and I feel about the Ctaholic relgion. Only you can decide what you feel is right for you and your family and I wish you all the best in deciding what you want to do. It is NOT a sin to go to another Religion.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I would tell you to attend churches of different faiths and study up to see if any appeal to you the most. I believe that religion doesn't mean we have to believe in a particular religion 100%. We just choose the one that we agree with the most or more so, it finds us with time.

We usually arlready know what we believe in such as reincarnation, spirits, angels, etc.. You either believe or you don't.. You just may want to find an official religion that encompasses your beliefs.. or maybe.. not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)