Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with bottle breaking!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:11 PM
  • 14 Replies

My dd is going to be 13 months on the first and is showing NO sign of wanting to give the bottle up.  She will take a sippee at meal time and stuff but bedtime/naptime?  No way!  She throws a helluva fit and I can't get her to lay down at all!  I don't want to traumatize her by just taking it away, but I've been getting alot of crap from people (mainly family) for letting her still have it. I know I created this mess myself, but I could greatly use any tips you mom's might have? Thanks!

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:13 PM
We did cold turkey (she only used a bottle for 5 months). But I just threw them all out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacey7710
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I don't have any tips because we are still dealing with this at night and it's a shame but everyone tells me cold turkey and let him cio. I don't think so and will have to figure it out another way. Good luck.

Mommy2ZOEBETH
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:19 PM

My nephew was hardcore on his bottle.One morning his mom explained to him that it was time to say goodbye to the bottles .So they went outside on trash day when the trash man came,he put them in the can and waved goodbye to the bottles. It was like he had baby closure over that. It was pretty cute and make him feel like he did it himself.

Klbushman
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I'm the same way. I don't have the heart to do that to her.  How old is he?

Quoting stacey7710:

I don't have any tips because we are still dealing with this at night and it's a shame but everyone tells me cold turkey and let him cio. I don't think so and will have to figure it out another way. Good luck.

Klbushman
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:20 PM

How old was he when you did this? Cause I'm not sure if my dd would quite understand what's going on.

Quoting Mommy2ZOEBETH:

My nephew was hardcore on his bottle.One morning his mom explained to him that it was time to say goodbye to the bottles .So they went outside on trash day when the trash man came,he put them in the can and waved goodbye to the bottles. It was like he had baby closure over that. It was pretty cute and make him feel like he did it himself.

melly_v88
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:22 PM
i just started putting only water in the bottle and juice or chocolate milk in the sippy cup :P It made her want What's in the cup more :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:23 PM

We were only giving them 3 times a day when she was 12 months and then went to once and only at night. After she got used to the taste of milk bwe just gave her a sippy.

Klbushman
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM

That's pretty much what we did, but at night time she won't take the sippee. She throws it or pushes it away and cries and cries till we give her a bottle.  I tried letting her cio for a little bit (maybe 10 mins.) but she started to make herself sick so I gave it to her.  Ugh... this is so hard :(

Quoting OliviaW.:

We were only giving them 3 times a day when she was 12 months and then went to once and only at night. After she got used to the taste of milk bwe just gave her a sippy.

ikesmommy200
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:30 PM
My ds was the same way at 13 months, he wouldn't really drink from the sippee much, then my friend told me to google farmer's almanac weaning. Her mom had 7 kids and weaned all of them that way, her 7 kids each had 3 kids, and they all did this. There are different stages of the moon, when the moon comes to those stages, you give them a bottle at night, then after bedtime at least pack the bottles out of sight, when your kid gets up in the morning, give them the sippee. It works great, IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nucking_futs
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Mine is 16 months and is showing no signs of wanting to give it up yet. He's just like your daughter is. I'm not guna push him to get off right now and I'm not taking it away anytime soon. I'm just guna keep trying here and there and let him decide when He's done. For example I'll make a sippy cup and a bottle for bed give him the sippy cup. If he screams I give him his bottle. Did this with my oldest and he threw his bottle in the trash at 19 months. I just kept telling him he was a big boy and didn't need it anymore. Then when he went to bed he took the sippy cup perfectly and I made a huge deal out of it when he through his bottle away. Then I told him no more bottle bottles are all gone and I had him help me throw them out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)