Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Broken Proximal Humerus Fracture....

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 11:11 PM
  • 13 Replies

Has anyone's child ever experienced a broken arm with the humerus bone?

My daughter fell off her 4 wheeler Saturday and broke the bone right under her shoulder blade. Complete fracture. She had surgery yesterday- "closed reduction" to get the bone back in position.

Where the break is, they are unable to cast it so she is in a splint and let me just tell you.... it's miserable for her. Her arm is weighted down by plaster around the break, along with ace bandages all up and down her arm. Bandages wrapped around her chest and arm to hold it in place as well as a sling around her neck and wrist (doesn't even support her arm).  I have to leave it in that positon. We have yet to attempt to bathe. It will be sponge bathing for awhile because she screams when I try to take the ace bandage off around her chest. Not able to put a shirt completely over her due to the ace bandage on her chest. Yeah, I could take it off, but it does support the positon of her arm and she screams bloody murder.

Just wondering if ayone else went through this?

by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Poor kid!

None of my kids have broken that bone. 

LSurvivor78
by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 7:05 AM
Me either :-( plenty of stiches with my boys, but no broken bones as of yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
themomof3boys
by Member on Feb. 22, 2011 at 7:36 AM

none of my children have broken a bone either...and I have all boys.  I'm just waiting for a broken bone especially from my daredevil 9 yr old.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 22, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Oh no! Poor child!  I hope she is more comfortable soon.

daydreaminmom
by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 8:56 AM

So far no broken arms/arm areas in my kids. My son fractured his skull but that's it so far *knock on wood*

If it's that painful, did they not give her something for it? I mean, after any surgery i've ever had they gave me at least Tylenol 3 to help sleep or something. Hell, they gave me Darvoset at 15 for hand surgery!

momof3angela
by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I'm so sorry that happened to your daughter....both of my daughter's have broken their wrists but not the arm....  I pray she heals very fast.  don't be afraid to ask her Dr any ?'s you have.....  what is she on for pain?

sgrote2010
by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Thanks a bunch. She's doing a little bit better today. They gave her loratab every 4-6 hours as needed. She's starting to get antsy laying around and wanting to color, etc. I'm having a hard time with her understanding the importance of resting this week while she doesn't have school and helping make her arm feel better. Today her hand is really swollen because she isnt' holding her hand in the up right position like she should be from the split.

Just one day at a time I suppose. We go to her Post Op followup next Thursday for xrays. Thanks girls. =)

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 22, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Thank you for the update. It is encouraging that she is feeling better.

momof3angela
by on Feb. 24, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Quoting sgrote2010:

Thanks a bunch. She's doing a little bit better today. They gave her loratab every 4-6 hours as needed. She's starting to get antsy laying around and wanting to color, etc. I'm having a hard time with her understanding the importance of resting this week while she doesn't have school and helping make her arm feel better. Today her hand is really swollen because she isnt' holding her hand in the up right position like she should be from the split.

Just one day at a time I suppose. We go to her Post Op followup next Thursday for xrays. Thanks girls. =)

I hope the swelling is better today....keeping it elevated is hard for a kid...especially one who wants to play so bad.  When my youngest broke her wrist at age 1 1/2....they recasted her and it was too tight....we got home and her hand was purple and severly swollen....I was so glad it was a soft cast b/c I took it off myself.  

heidi749
by Canadian on Feb. 24, 2011 at 9:41 AM

He has broke his Jaw and his wrist, but not that bone. . It was not fun with either break,  I bribed him,  he was suppose to wear the sling for the first week, so I would say "you wear the sling and you can stay up an extra 30 minutes", just small things that I knew would please him but not make him a spoiled brat, bathes we put little water in the tub and covered the cast with allot of plastic. I feel so bad for her, and you I know all to well what it is like to deal with a child that is broken, and does not understand they need rest and do very little activity to fix it. Hope she gets well fast!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured