Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

36 Weeks today! So scared of labor and delivery. First baby.

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:48 AM
  • 16 Replies

Hello,

My name is Heather. Im 36 weeks pregnant and I am petrified of the pain and the birthing process. I know women have been doing this since the dawn of time and I know it's the most natural thing in the world, but i cant help but be scared of it all. Its strange, Im so done being pregnant and having all thesed aches and pains and sleeping on my sides...but at the same time Im scared for this baby to come out. Whats the pain really like? How does Labor really feel? ( No sugar coating please) Are you really sore after a vaginal birth? Do you feel anything during a c-section? How bad is getting an epidural? Sooooo many worries! And also iv been taking Norco as prescribed by my doc. Has anyone else taken anything like that?

Sincerly

Heather

P.S. Thank you in advance for the feedback.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Estty
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:54 AM

You need not to fear, God will go in there with you, and you will both come out healthy. His angles are with you. lol

And your baby in your arms.giving mom giftAnd lot of gift to your dear little one. lol.

frugalmomof4
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:22 AM
Are you planning to get an epidural?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_shannie
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:25 AM
I was terrified too, especially about the epidural bc I have back problems. When ur in labor your contractions will pretty intense and u will concentrating on controlling them while they do the epi then anything. The more u concentrate on ur contractions the less u feel them messing with ur back. The most I felt was a pinch and something rubbing against my spine that one didn't feel good but it was only for a second. Yes u will be a little sore after a vaginal delivery but its nothing serious. Where they put the epi u will have a sore spot for the next day or two. Labor wasn't bad for me I had no birthing classes but I read a lot and had a great birthing partner. Contractions for me are hard to describe they are intense but u have to breathe through it and find a relaxing technique that works for u. Also after having the epi u won't feel the contractions just a whole lot of pressure in ur bottom. Sorry it was so long hopes all this helps. Good luck momma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandafox
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:33 AM

You're so not alone in feeling like this! I was the same way with both! And the second time I had already (clearly) been through it! Haha. The contractions hurt. I'm not gonna lie. But like pp said, you just gotta relax and breathe through them. In through your nose, and out trough your mouth. I tried to labor as much as I could at home. It's so much more comfortable to be in your own space. I don't know about the epidural, I didn't have one. And as for being sore after delivery, well, of course! Haha. But it won't be that way for long, they give you pain killers. :) You're going to have an amazing gift when all is said and done! There is nothing else in this world as wonderful as the relief and joy when you are holding your baby for the first time! Good luck momma! You'll do great!

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:39 AM

I think it depends which you are going to do for your birth story.  I had a vaginal and even though someone tried to push a c-section on me, i stuck with the vaginal and there were no issues other than due to anemia my blood iron got way too low since i hadnt eaten anything in 24 hrs.

renijazzysmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:46 AM
I felt like that. With the first 2 it wasent so bad I had a epi with my 3rd it was horrible the worst pain ever. I was induced with no pain meds. It hurt so bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
504bbymami
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:54 AM
Girl I was the exact same way!

I know its different for everyone but for me, it was not bad AT ALL. I think (based on my experience) it is waaaaaaaaaay overdramatized on tv and such.

Ok, you start getting contractions, and they HURT. Imagine a SEVERE period cramp x100. BUT they don't last long at all....you start to feel it, it starts getting really painful, then it fades away. Basically as soon as I got to the hospital, they gave me some pain meds. Then the contractions were still very painful, but MUCH tolerable. And like I said before, the contractions don't last very long. Then when it was getting close to time to push, I got my epidural. I was soooooooooo TERRIFIED of the epidural but guess what. I didn't even feel it. There was so much other stuff going on and the nurse was like "hold stil........ ok I'm done" and I didn't feel a thing!

After that, there was almost no pain at all. I pushed for about 40 mins and hardley felt a thing (but it was very tiring) as soon as my baby was crowning, his heart rate dropped dramatically and I had to be rushed to an emergency c-section. I felt everything they did but none of "hurt" I could just feel it. The c-sectioon recovery was difficult but tolerable.

And as soon as you get that precious baby in your arms, all of that pain will seem soooo small and unimportant..

Eta, my whole labor and delivery was 8 hours in total. It seemed to go by super fast to me. It was nothing like you see in movies. I never screamed even once or even came close. I did squeeze my partners hand during contractions. And. I might have let out a tear or 2 on the really bad contractions :) but not much

Just relllllaaaaax mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nonobeth
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:31 AM

I was so worried about having my daughter. I read everything i could about childbirth, read birth stories, watched those 'a baby story' shows on tv.

And when you are pregnant, everyone wants to tell you their delivery horror stories, so, i was pretty terrified about the whole thing.

I was thinking it was going to be awful, but actually it wasen't bad at all.

I went in because my water broke, I was having contractions but no progress with dialating. They started patocin. That was when the contractions started to get uncomfortable, bordering on painful.

I asked for pain meds, got them, and was comfortable again.

I got one more dose of pain meds after that but the contractions we're becoming painful.

So i got the epidural. The pain from the needle was no worse than the contractions i was feeling, and it was done really fast.

After that i felt no pain at all, only pressure. I chatted and joked around with family after that, right up until the point where I started pushing.

I really hope labor with the next kid i have is as easy and uneventful as the last.

kiwilime
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:38 AM

The best advice I was ever given was RELAX.  Let your body do what it needs to do.  No one can tell you what the pain will be like for you.  I have 3 girls and my labors and deliveries were not bad.  You will probably be sore after a vaginal delivery, especially if you tear.  You will be offered pain reliver on a regular basis at the hospital though.  I can't help with info on the epidural or c-section though since I haven't had either.

LSurvivor78
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:17 AM
I never made it to the pushing stage and wound up with c-sections (all 4) .. But good luck !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)