Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Swim lessons?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM
  • 14 Replies
Has anyone had swim lessons for their 3.5 year old? How did they do? Did they listen? Did they learn anything? My daughter starts a 9 week class in April and I am worried it is too early or she will hate the water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hws060504
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM

We tried to have a friend teach our then 3.5 YO last summer.  He LOVES the water, but I think that we need to enroll him in a structured class at the Y or something like that.  He didn't listen very well, and I think that's because he knew the friend teaching him.  As long as she has had some experience in the water before, I'd say she'll probably do well!  Good luck!

okhsmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:58 PM

My kids were swimming by that age.  I bet your dd will do great and really enjoy pool time this summer.

hws060504
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Oh and it's definitely not too early.  I was a swimmer, and I think that the earlier you can get your child used to the water and teach them water safety, the better.  :)

Butterf1yK1sses
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM

I agree! Last year we taught my DS how to kick his feet and hold his breath under water and I thank God we did. He ended up falling off the steps into the pool and he held his breath and kicked like crazy. We still had to grab him but he knew what to do!

Quoting hws060504:

Oh and it's definitely not too early.  I was a swimmer, and I think that the earlier you can get your child used to the water and teach them water safety, the better.  :)

lilou
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM

It's not too early at all. My dd is 3 and has been swimming on her own since last summer. Kids usually loves water and the class isn't long so she won't get bored and not listen.

Blessedmommy691
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Iwas a swim instructor for many years. We started classes anywhere from a couple months old to adults. 3-5 is a great age to star classes. For that age its more about teaching them safety in water. Teaching them to go hand over hadn near the ege of the pool,how to float and so on. The thing to remember is that each child is very different. Some have fears of deep water and some have no fear. Hope this is a little helpfull, sorry if its all over the place my son its on my lap.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:12 PM

My son was almost 3 when we had lessons. It was called mom and me swim. The teacher told us what to do, and we taught the child. Something I learned is to go to an indoor pool so chilly weather or rain isn't a factor.

MommaOf2Boys10
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I havent put mine in swimming lessons... I want to though bc he is 4.5 and terrified of the water. He will only get in the pool if he has his arms and legs wrapped around me 10 times LOL. I dont want him to be like that but I cant seem to get it through his head that its okay ...dh thinks we shouldnt put him in lessons and just throw him in (bc thats how he learned) but i will NEVER do that!

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:22 PM

My son started just before he was 4 his last day was his 4th birthday, then started back this January, he is going into his 3 rd level next saturday, but he did have difficulty in the beginning. Each child is different.  The instructor perfers we not be in there. She says the children usually do better when the parents are not watching, she also says the younger they are the better they seem to do.

Mommy2justone
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:47 PM
Yeah the place we are going has an indoor heated pool. I will not be going in with her and they have one way mirrors on one of the walls for kids who don't do well with mom watching and windows around the rest for kids who don't mind, or need mom there.

Quoting Bmat:

My son was almost 3 when we had lessons. It was called mom and me swim. The teacher told us what to do, and we taught the child. Something I learned is to go to an indoor pool so chilly weather or rain isn't a factor.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)