Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help dealing with anxiety /panic

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM
  • 13 Replies
I have pretty severe PTSD, have almost all my life. I used to be on a Lot of valium (I have a super high tolerance to meds and have to use a lot more than most ppl) to deal with it.

Now, I'm bf'ing so I cant/wont take valium.

I'm starting to get severe attacks again where my heart races, chest feels super tight and it feels like the world is coming to an end, lol. Its been happening several times a day * the bad ones, I'm 'used to' the regular 'smaller' ones * :-(

What do u do to calm/relax yourself during these times or to try to avoid them? They can be very crippling
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
okhsmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Are there any meds you can take that aren't prn like valium?  Some antidepressants help with anxiety too.  I don't know about taking meds while BFing though.  I have experienced significant stress response at times.  Meditation and yoga were most helpful.  Learning to stay present in my thoughts and learning to participate just moment by moment was key for me.  The key is learning to be free where you are and giving yourself the grace to be fearful knowing that its just a feeling and that it will pass.  I'm sorry you're struggling.  Good luck.

TennesseesSuga
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Try to talk and breath myself thru them  i hate the attacks they are awful

LSurvivor78
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:08 PM
My doc gave me prosac, but its not as effective as valium.

It can hit anytime, when I'm sitting and watching TV or listening to music.. Feel fine, then BAM, it hits like a train.

Quoting okhsmom:

Are there any meds you can take that aren't prn like valium?  Some antidepressants help with anxiety too.  I don't know about taking meds while BFing though.  I have experienced significant stress response at times.  Meditation and yoga were most helpful.  Learning to stay present in my thoughts and learning to participate just moment by moment was key for me.  The key is learning to be free where you are and giving yourself the grace to be fearful knowing that its just a feeling and that it will pass.  I'm sorry you're struggling.  Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Exhale slowly. Think about collecting all the bad energy in your body and slowly slowly blowing it away. Picture the air as you blow the bad energy away through your pursed lips. Inhale good energy. Tell yourself that it isn't helping you to be thinking worrisome thoughts,  have a good place or thought already picked out and go to that immediately. Continuing the slow exhale.

LSurvivor78
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:09 PM
It is terrible :-/

Quoting TennesseesSuga:

Try to talk and breath myself thru them  i hate the attacks they are awful

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
okhsmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Have you had counseling to learn ways to cope?  I don't mean long term psychotherapy (although that could be of help too), but specific and focused therapy to help you learn to turn down the mental noise when you are experiencing an episode? 

Quoting LSurvivor78:

My doc gave me prosac, but its not as effective as valium.

It can hit anytime, when I'm sitting and watching TV or listening to music.. Feel fine, then BAM, it hits like a train.

Quoting okhsmom:

LSurvivor78
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:11 PM
Does this work if u didn't have any *conscious* bad/worrisome thoughts?

Quoting Bmat:

Exhale slowly. Think about collecting all the bad energy in your body and slowly slowly blowing it away. Picture the air as you blow the bad energy away through your pursed lips. Inhale good energy. Tell yourself that it isn't helping you to be thinking worrisome thoughts,  have a good place or thought already picked out and go to that immediately. Continuing the slow exhale.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mtsmom1986
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:13 PM
This seems to be going around. I'm dealing with the same thing right now, and I'm not on any meds for it. Its scaring the crap out of me. I went into the ER Monday morning and I have a drs appt tomorrow. I'm hoping to get mine under control. Good luck to you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Yes it does. It may take practise, so do it a few times before you have the attack so you can move right into the breathing.  For me it was hard to make myself exhale the slow breath, I wanted to keep gasping, but once you get the exhale, it helps.

okhsmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Quoting mtsmom1986:

This seems to be going around. I'm dealing with the same thing right now, and I'm not on any meds for it. Its scaring the crap out of me. I went into the ER Monday morning and I have a drs appt tomorrow. I'm hoping to get mine under control. Good luck to you!

Good luck to you too!  You're asking about allergies too, right?  You've got a lot going on, mama! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)