Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just can't take it anymore! My kids are so BAD

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:27 PM
  • 36 Replies

My oldest, DD (4 1/2), has always been an angel child. The poster child for perfect. My youngest, DS (2 1/2), not so much. Maybe it's the difference between boys and girls, idk. DD always knew how to behave in public, even as a baby, and if she started to act up one look would straighten her out. DS........... sigh

He is the ring leader, HE is the instigator, the YOUNGER child! He is now 2 1/2 and I feel like I can't take them anywhere! I'm a firm, strict mother, but I'm losing this battle with him. I discipline him, he smiles flirts and laughs. I spank him, he says "ow" like it's a minor annoyance. I threaten, he doesn't care. I bargain, he doesn't care. I BRIBE, he doesn't CARE!! So DD hops on the wagon and gets in trouble with him, when she knows better. I got so angry today at the library I lost my temper. I am still kinda pissed. He refuses to behave in public, to follow directions, and gives me this look like "you won't spank me" when he knows I will. I always thought kids who act like this do so because their parents let them. Now I see, maybe that's not always the case. I just don't understand his attitude. No, I do, his dad is the same way.

I'm rambling but what I'm getting at is I'm so freakin frustrated with my kids acting like they have no brains, and I can't get thru to them. I had to pray hard while we were out today because I wanted to scream. They're not crazy like running around screaming attacking people or anything like that. But they don't stay put where I tell them, they touch stuff they know not to, they test my patience on a minute by minute basis and make me say "no, stop, knock it off, get back here, sit down, be quiet, what did I just say?!" constantly over and over and over and over and over and.... you get it.

I'm sick of it! This is a fairly new thing they're doing, they used to be really good at home and perfect angels in public. Then DS turned 2 and started testing, and DD just fell right in line with him. How do you get your kids to behave in public? I don't believe I should have to bribe, beg, or threaten them, and I don't want to and I won't anymore. Right now I'm so sick of it I'd leave them at home whenever I went out but shoot, I can't, I'm a single mom! This is just ridiculous and has gone too far. Help! It's embarrassing!!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I guess my thing is stop expecting it, and when they do behave give them a reward. Dont bribe them to be good. If they are then just give it to them. They will get the picture what when they are good they get somthing good. When they are bad they get nothing at all.

Sorry that i am not more help.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:35 PM
I'm going through this with my 3yo. Only its at home AND in public. Its frustrating as hell
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:39 PM

if it were my home they would have no toys to play with until they straightened out. and if they whined of being bored they could go to their rooms and stare at walls. i have 0 tolerence.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM

check out love n logic. there is tons on the internet, they have a facebook and u can read the book. its giving them natural punishments. U are no longer the bad guy and they are no longer feeling out of control

by Amber on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM

My 2.5 and 4.5 yo's are insane as well. I'm PRETTY SURE they are aliens and actually trying to kill me lol.

Just this morning, we had an incident at a PUBLIC playgroup, which made me wonder if I should even HAVE kids lol.

Just know, that you are not alone.  :)  (mine are snacking happily and peacefully right now, huh)

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:59 PM

if my kids are acting out in public after a warning, i will loudly call them out on whatever it embarasses the crap out of them and straightens them up!  that and i don't care if it's public or not, if my kid is acting crazy and not listening, i will spank them right then and there.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:02 PM

We don't call our 3 yr old ds the "Terminator" for nothing. :)

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I have two boys, but my oldest is the instigator. I know how you feel *sigh*

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:05 PM

*hugs* I know how hard it can be! I have a 5 year old, 3.5 year old, and a 15 month old. My 5 year old is the most rude, disrespectful child on the planet. She never listens, and doesn't care what punishments she gets. It's frustrating. Today she was on time out during our playgroup at the playground because she was breaking up ice with her foot next to another 15 month old baby. I'm not really sure what her problem is, but it just gets worse as she gets older. You are NOT alone!!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:12 PM
At ages 4 and 2 they are supposed to be testing your limits. It's what they do. As a mom it's your job to teach them. I know, my daughter is 3 and it gets difficult, but remember there's positive reinforcement too, so you don't have to just be punishing and yelling at them all the time. Good luck. We all need some good luck when it comes to that age group :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)