Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for breastfeeding mamas...

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM
  • 18 Replies

I know someone who has a 21 month old little girl.  The mother is very pro-breastfeeding and has been nursing her daughter all this time.  I think that's great - I wasn't even able to make it a year.  But she says her daughter nurses every 2 hours, and that seems a little odd.  I didn't even nurse my son every 2 hours right before we stopped.  I'm just curious if this is within the normal range or not.  Not that it really matters, but I"m just curious.  She's not someone I'm really close to myself, so I don't feel comfortable asking her.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chell.chell
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:55 PM

BUMP!

carinyosa99
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:11 PM

BUMP!

Krysta622
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:19 PM

It's not abnormal.  Toddlers often nurse frequently, then go a period where they nurse less often, then back to newborn frequency...

nellyb118
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:21 PM
hmm weird b/c at that age it wouldn't be a nutritional/hunger thing more comfort. And I know I'll get chewed out but I don't understand the point after 1 year?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
504bbymami
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:25 PM
My 21 month old JUST stopped nursing. He did not nurse nearly that often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carinyosa99
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:31 PM

By the way she's described it though, it seems like she's always been nursing her every 2 hours.  She does work (although only about 20 hours a week and sometimes she can take her daughter) and I'm wondering what happens when she's not there.  I don't think she's getting breastmilk when she's not there. 

Quoting Krysta622:

It's not abnormal.  Toddlers often nurse frequently, then go a period where they nurse less often, then back to newborn frequency...

camy41075
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:34 PM

I BF my son until he was 22 almost 23 months old and toward the end I can say we would go hours and hours. He took a sippy w/ juice and he also drank cows milk. He ate food really the only time he nursed at that age was for comfort and to go to sleep. He did nurse over night but I co slept and he would just nurse on demand.

Krysta622
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:51 PM

That's normal too.  I only mentioned one scenario that's common among nursing toddlers.

Quoting carinyosa99:

By the way she's described it though, it seems like she's always been nursing her every 2 hours.  She does work (although only about 20 hours a week and sometimes she can take her daughter) and I'm wondering what happens when she's not there.  I don't think she's getting breastmilk when she's not there. 

Quoting Krysta622:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

MrsMWF
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:21 PM

My son is 21/2 years old. Some days he hardly nurses at all and other days it seems like he is nursing constantly. It's normal.

Cara5
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:55 PM

There is nothing wrong with that.  If mom has the time to devote to nursing every two hours then go for it.  I would imagine that the child is having "snacks" every couple of hours rather than nursing forn an extended period of time.   Toddlers know what they want and what the need as far as breastmilk and hydration.  I dont have the stamina for nursing that often, but when dd is sick sometimes we do.  whatever works. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)