Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Extremely picky eater...need food ideas or advice!!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:10 PM
  • 6 Replies

Ever since she turned 2, my DD is a super picky eater. For a little while if she refused anything else she would still eat Gerber 3rd foods, but now she turns those away. She loves fruit, she'll eay any fruit.

Aside from fruit though, pretty much all I can get her to eat is bread, cereal, yogurt, cottage cheese, sandwich cheese, scrambled eggs, and popcorn. She won't eat meat. She won't drink milk or water. I have to add a little juice to her water to get her drink it. Half the time she won't even try something new, she just turns it away, and then starts screaming about it if you keep on her. She won't eat anything I make for dinner for the rest of us, she might ask for a bite, but then she decides she doesn't want it.

So, any ideas, advice, thoughts on this would be appreciated....or name some of your toddlers favorite foods that are different than things like mac&cheese, spagetti, oatmeal, hot dogs...I've already tried all the foods kids are supposed to like, lol!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
WendyJR
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:16 PM
Sweet potatoes, any vegetable, turkey roll ups (turkey and cheese rolled together), chicken nuggets, soups, fish sticks, anything that comes out of a crock pot, that's all I can think of right now. Gl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Forget-me-not
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:30 PM
Whatever you decide please do not give pedisure, it's loaded with sugar and other crap. My suggestion would be a whole food juicer. I make an apple, carrot and spinach juice that my kids love! Avocados are very nutritious as well. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that as long as she is eating it does not matter what she eats which a lot of parents of picky eaters resort to. Keep offering healthy foods and she will come around :-) I really cannot stress how awesome and easy a whole foods juicer is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cara5
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:03 PM
I second the juicer. Stop buying sugared fruit juice! Make her juice in the juicer, add water to get it down to the consistency she is used to and dont add a drop of sugar. You can slip veggies into the juicer.. a half a kiwi covers up damn near any veggie taste LOL! Milk is not essential to a childs diet, especially if shes eating other diary. She sounds like she actually does eat a fair variety of foods... take advantage of what she does eat. Feed her whole grain bread, look for cereal made of something besides corn, get plain yogurt and add berries and cereal to that rather than sweetened flavored yogurt. Does she eat peanut butter or beans? Experiment with some ways to get other proteins besides the egg in her, but its not necessary to eat meat. At meal times but a bites worth of 2 or 3 new things on her plate or tray, and a small helping of one or two things off her approved food list. Dont force her to eat anything, just give her plenty of time to try the new stuff... eventually she will take a bite or two.
Neelah
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM

The juice I buy her is natural, the only sugars are what's in the fruit, and I water it down immensely. I looked at V8 once for the veggies, it's advertised sooo healthy, but the first ingredients are water & sugar! Never thought about putting veggies in a juicer...can  anyone reccommend a good one? We had the Jack Lalane juicer at one point, but it was awful...it worked really slow, and took a big bag of oranges to make one and half adult size servings. If that's the case with all juicers, I can't afford that much fresh fruit!

She just tried a bite of my quesadilla and liked the tortilla, so I'll have to try some wraps or roll ups. And my DH got her to eat cheerios with milk this morning, so maybe there's hope!

As for veggies, she won't eat them on their own, but she'll occassionally eat a Gerber 3rd foods veggie.

We went to a buffet last night, and out of the huge selection of food I gave her, all she ate was the bread, the cottage cheese, and the peaches. She ate like 3 peas, but only b/c they got mixed in with the cottage cheese!

Neelah
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I haven't tried Peanut Butter, is it ok for a 2 year old? I don't know what age the "allergy" foods are safer to try at.

I've tried mixing things into the food she does eat, but she's picky about her foods being mixed together, everything has to separate or she won't eat it.

EMBER127
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:13 PM

my little guy is the same way recently! he is almost 2 and he is on a food strike big time. Have you tried chocolate milk? I got my son to drink milk by mixing it like you do water and juice. A little bit of chocolate with whole milk. I also put water in a big cup so that he feels big when he drinks it. It isn't much but it works a little. I also juice so that he gets nutrients or get bolt house farms carrott juice. I also started shredding bits of veggies or using baby food and putting it in stuff he does like. Like pureed carrotts and sweet potatos in yogurt. Sounds wierd but he likes it. I also just plainly put it on his tray even if he doesn't like it so that he will try it eventually. He used to hate carrots until I made sweet carrots with honey and now he eats them. He will eat broccoli with cheese no problem now and he likes sweet potato pancakes. He will also eat spinach in a quiche made with eggs and cheese. He still refuses these things some days but really the most you can do is make sure it is offered all the time start trying to creativly hide them, that means color included lol and wait. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)