Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I take my son to the doctor or wait it out?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 4 1/2 year old son has been running a low grade fever since Monday.  When I say low grade I mean anywhere from 100.1-100.5 degrees.  He is coughing as well and I have gave him  over the counter cough medecine to help with his cough.  The cough medecine worked for a couple of days but today it did not help him at all.  He is not lethargic with the fever. But the first few days he was sick the fever was during the day and some at night.  Then today he didnt have a fever during the daytime but now it has come up tonight.  I havent been giving him Tylenol for the fever since it has been low grade and I know fever is the bodys way of fighting off infections/illness.  I can tell he just dosnt feel well because when the fever hits he just lays around.  He is not complaning with his ears or a sore throat.  I was just wondering if you ladies think I need to take him in to see the doctor tomorrow or just ride it out and see if he gets over it?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
starfilled
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:11 PM

We typically don't go to the dr unless the cough has been lasting more than a week, or there is wheezing, or they're complaining of ear or throat pain. You're doing good.  Just keep hijm comfortable, hydrated, and let him rest.  *Hugs*

LyTe684
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:13 PM
I wouldn't. But you know him best. If you're worries try calling the peds office and ask. GL. Hope he feels better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OhiogirlinCali
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I'd wait and take him to the doctor tomorrow..... I usually take my kids in just to be on the safe side if they've had a fever for more than 3 days....

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I wouldn't rush over with a low fever like that.  May just be viral.  Poor fella.  Hate he's so sick.  If the fever spikes over 101 I'd take him in b/c it could turn into Strep or Flu or something needing meds.  Poor thing.  A lil boy I keep had NO symptoms all day long and played well all day, ate well, and we even went outside for 45min.  When we came in he seemed kinda "off" and he laid down.  I started supper and went over to check on him and he was burning up!  His fever was 102!!!!  He had Strep, but had NO symptoms all day.  Kinda weird how it snuck up like that at 4:30pm!  Anyway......I hope he gets to feeling better soon.  Virus can hang on like that for 7-10days with low fevers and just yucky feeling.  Good luck and God bless.....

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I would call the doctor in the morning to see what they say.  Don't give him cough medicine during the day as you want him to cough up the "gunk".  If it keeps him awake at night you can give it to him. 

hailnbray
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:20 PM

i would give it a few more days. I think he just has a bit of a cold and will be ok

happymom1988
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:22 PM

id take him in just in case .. also because he may prescribr ur ds a medicine that will work better :)

maidenmouse
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:26 PM

If you are on here wondering if you should take him in. I think you should. Your mom and you know best!

25beengoodtome
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I agree with your  idea. No rushing off to the doctor. I did read  in a medical booklet that a low-grade fever (like you describe) helps fight the illness, and build up the body's stregnth to fight off more illness in the future.

My mom  used to keep us on the couch, her private " intensive care room"  when we were young.

~Marie,G.O.;ADDICTED TO CAFE MOM www.cafemom.com/group22677

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)