Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone had chemo treatments/

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:43 PM
  • 41 Replies

i am starting treatments in a few weeks. they said i might not feel too bad but for some reason i just don't believe them.

how bad do you really feel and when do you start feeling so bad?

does it make you lose weight? or gain?

when should i expect to start losing my hair?

will i lose ALL bodily hair?

how long after treatment does it take to start growing back?

please any help, advice or knowledge will be helpful. i can't find a CM group that's active enuf for me to get answers and i am having trouble finding a site online to reliably answer any questions as well. thanks.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starfilled
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I'm sorry.  My husband's cousin is undergoing treatment right now and she hasn't lost any hair (not everyone does...)

mtsmom1986
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:47 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AddisonsMommy12
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I was only 8 when I had mine, so I don't remember much. But I can tell you, the kind that I had made me sick ALOT. Some days I would just lay in bed and not move, according to my mom. I would go to school and leave an hour in. My hair started falling out shortly after I started my chemo. My cousin was brushing my hair, when it started falling out. We called my mom who was in St Luis at the time for work, and she just laughed and said "Okay, it's excepted." We went to the hair dresser, didn't tell the lady who washed my hair that I was loosing my hair, and she felt so bad, she thought she put some thing in my hair! But sometimes you don't lose your hair.

Feel free to message me if you need too.

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:13 PM
My husband hand four rounds last summer/fall. He gained weight mainly bc if the saline they use during treatment and bc sweets were the only thin to take the nasty taste out if his mouth. They gave Hume meds to take the nausea away sometimes they worked sometimes they didn't. He did lose his hair all of it body hair too. He started loosing the hair after the third treatment so nine weeks in I think and it started to grow back four weeks after he stop. His last treatment was in october and he still can feel tired some days they told us it takes up to a year to feel normal again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:23 PM

i think it all depends on the meds you are on and the dosage. My dad is on methotrexate. He takes it on a wed, and is fine til saturday. saturday and sunday he is sick, run down and just feels like he has been run over by a mack truck (as he says) some days he throws up some days he doesnt. By monday he is feeling better and by tuesday he is back to himself. Wednesday taking the meds again. Its a crazy cycle he is on. He hasnt lost any hair and he lost some weight but not much.

nowaygourmet
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:36 PM

they said i would definitely be losing my hair. he didn't tell me when or what to expect with it.

i asked about getting sick but he just said that every person is different. idk what drug i will be getting yet.

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:37 PM

thats how jeremi was  he was feeling bad sat and sunday but buy monday he would feel better ..but he was getting three kinds of chemo though iv five days a week every two weeks ..there was only lady we would see on wed she was the happies women ever always laughing and i never saw her look or feel bad .

Quoting lundaylove:

i think it all depends on the meds you are on and the dosage. My dad is on methotrexate. He takes it on a wed, and is fine til saturday. saturday and sunday he is sick, run down and just feels like he has been run over by a mack truck (as he says) some days he throws up some days he doesnt. By monday he is feeling better and by tuesday he is back to himself. Wednesday taking the meds again. Its a crazy cycle he is on. He hasnt lost any hair and he lost some weight but not much.

BE BOLD check your husbands balls, early detection is the key to saving a life     

MOD  of  Join us in First Time Moms!

AddisonsMommy12
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I know I lost alot fo weight. But I was also on steriods. And I ate alot of junk. Everytime we went to the hostipal, we stopped and got Pizza Hut, and meal plans, because I refused to eat hostipal food.

But GL, and prays!

Kerfuffle
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM

What is going on with you that you need chemo if you don't mind my asking....  that actually has a lot to do with what to expect.   I have no been through chemo myself...  radiation yes...  not chemo.  My dad is a cancer research scientist and works closely with oncologists  so I know a bit about chemo from that...  and might have an idea about you depending on what is going on. 

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM

my husband only vomited once duroing the whole thing and its bc he ate way to  much and then the smell of something set him off ...and after his first week of teatment it was like nothing was wrong its wasnt till the secound round that he started to feel the side affects and such 

Quoting nowaygourmet:

they said i would definitely be losing my hair. he didn't tell me when or what to expect with it.

i asked about getting sick but he just said that every person is different. idk what drug i will be getting yet.

BE BOLD check your husbands balls, early detection is the key to saving a life     

MOD  of  Join us in First Time Moms!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)