Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does it honestly get easier???

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:40 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have a one and a half year old daughter who always, always, NEEDS to make me and dh look like complete fools whenever we go out in public. She throws tantrums and screams and carries on and it's like all eyes are on us. It's horrible! Now I've heard from a few family and friends that things will get easier and things will go smoother and I'm like "Really?! When???" Has anyone ever went through this and did it actually get better? 

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:44 PM

when my son throws a massive fit we leave the place we are at and go to the car and calm down then go back to the store ..i dont care what others think my son is a toddler and is learning to work out his feelings of fustration and anger . if its a little fit like he wont walk with me or listen then he goes in the cart and gets buckled in yes im pushing a crying child around but about five min later he is all calm again and fine with riding in the cart. you just have to be consistent and find the method that works for you . my mother loves the book 123 magic for handling tantrums it worked wonders her with my siblings 

LoveMyLos
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:49 PM

my son is 5, so no, not at 5 it doesn't. lol. i just replied to someone else who has 2 kids who are acting horrid. my solution is, i refuse to take him with me anywhere. will not do it. leave her home with someone, or one of you go to the store if you have to. she'll get the clue. my son hasn't figured it out yet, but i added the other day that me and sissy are going out, and you are staying with dad. he asked why, and i told him the truth. that he does not behave, and im not chasing him through the parking lot or the store. good luck!

kaydens_mamma
i usually just ignore my kid's tantrums and they stop. I don't care what other ppl think. If they don't listen the first few times i tell them to knock it off or stop then i ignore it. Most of the time they're trying boundaries, if u don't ggive them the attention they usually stop. If the tantrum is really bad or they don't stop i do what the pp does, calm downn time in the car or we leave altogether and go home for naps then try again when they want to behave. It does get easier! Just be patient, GL mamma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsMWF

yep....when they move out on their own.

Momof2almost
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM

it does get easier (in some areas) and then it gets more difficult in other areas.

PhoenixsMommy10
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:54 PM

it does get better. i used to babysit my nieces all the time, and when they would do stuff like that i would just ignore them. it's hard to do, but when you give them attention it just makes it worse.

Laylas_mami28
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:57 PM

LOL...i can't wait for this! 

Quoting MrsMWF:

yep....when they move out on their own.

Laylas_mami28
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:36 AM

My daughter refuses to be quiet in the shopping cart and the store that we go to, they give out free balloons to little ones and cookies, but that only last for a short time. Note: I am the consistent one but my husband is not. I have discussed with him on many, many occassions that he can not give her everything she wants and that it will make her act out more. But he does not listen. And I'm definitely gonna look for that book! 

Quoting KelliansMom:

when my son throws a massive fit we leave the place we are at and go to the car and calm down then go back to the store ..i dont care what others think my son is a toddler and is learning to work out his feelings of fustration and anger . if its a little fit like he wont walk with me or listen then he goes in the cart and gets buckled in yes im pushing a crying child around but about five min later he is all calm again and fine with riding in the cart. you just have to be consistent and find the method that works for you . my mother loves the book 123 magic for handling tantrums it worked wonders her with my siblings 

Laylas_mami28
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Thanks ladies! I am hoping that this is just a stage hopefully things will improve once she starts talking and telling me what she wants. 

bbmkfo03
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Sounds like she's hitting the terrible two's early, so did my DD, she's now 21 months, and she started tantrums and such at like 19 months and gosh I hope this is the worst of it! I heard the 3's can be trying too. Hang in there mama *hugs*, you're not alone!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)