Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Approaching potty training - advice needed

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:28 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hi moms! I am ready to approach potty training with my little girl. Are there any books out there that are a must read? Also, should I switch to pull ups right away or see how she does with the potty first? Lastly, should I get her her own little potty or the seat that goes on the toilet? I'm leaning towards a seat for the toilet because she already asks to sit on it. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

K

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MicheleJM
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Pull up never did anything for my kids.  Maybe they work for others but to me they are evil and a way of the diaper companies to get more money from you.  My kids treated them like diapers and never trained until I went to training pants and/or underwear.  Maybe she can pick out some she likes and you tell her they are her big girl panties.  Now she has to use the potty when she wears them.  Save pullups for when you go out.  I hated cleaning potty so I used a seat on a toilet.  Put a stool under her feet though.  And have lots and lots of patience.  My kids did better when they went to daycare and saw other kids using the potty.

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:59 PM

You should check out this group:

Potty Training Support

bbmkfo03
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:49 AM

I'm thinking of starting potty training with my dd too. I did get her own potty today, the Elmo potty b/c she's obsessed with Elmo and a book & dvd (Elmo also!) about using the potty. She likes the potty but didn't like having to pull her pants down. I think she thinks it's an Elmo chair. We may not be 100% ready yet after all!

Butterf1yK1sses
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:57 AM

I had my DS have his own potty that played music when he went in it. I also just put underwear on him and yes he had accidents but with just underwear on he could feel and he knew he made a mess. I think when just startig potty training if they have a pull up on they think it is just like a diaper and it doesnt effect them as much. It might be different for others though. I also had a potty chart on our fridge and I would let them color it everytime he went potty. He thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Good Luck! Try to make it fun in a way!

Kasey376
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 1:00 AM

I am about to start this with my middle child. My oldest is four and she basically potty trained herself, it was too easy. I never used Pull ups, never been a fan of them. Things that I plan to do is allow my DD to choose her new underwear, like her favorite cartoon character (this makes it fun). I used a potty seat with my first and I am going to use one with my middle child, It seems less intimidating then the "big potty" I used rewards with my oldest. We had a sticker chart and after she used the potty, she put up a sticker and after she got so many stickers, I would buy her a small treat. I also did the fifteen minute system. I would take my DD to the potty every fifteen minutes and I would sit down and let her sit on her potty and try. It was exhausting but One whole day of this goes a LONG way. Hope this helps :)

coralbeth
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 1:33 AM
Interesting method. I've heard it should only take about a day once they are ready to be potty trained. Btw ladies...Pull Ups ARE diapers! They are just designed to be put on like underpants and the velcro part is designed a lil differently. They could be useful for outings or bedwetting, but I plan to put them over undies when I start potty training. DD just upgraded to size 4 due to daily accidents and she still has accidents sometimes overnight.

Quoting Kasey376:

I am about to start this with my middle child. My oldest is four and she basically potty trained herself, it was too easy. I never used Pull ups, never been a fan of them. Things that I plan to do is allow my DD to choose her new underwear, like her favorite cartoon character (this makes it fun). I used a potty seat with my first and I am going to use one with my middle child, It seems less intimidating then the "big potty" I used rewards with my oldest. We had a sticker chart and after she used the potty, she put up a sticker and after she got so many stickers, I would buy her a small treat. I also did the fifteen minute system. I would take my DD to the potty every fifteen minutes and I would sit down and let her sit on her potty and try. It was exhausting but One whole day of this goes a LONG way. Hope this helps :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cosetterose
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 1:59 AM
My daughters small and had a difficult time climbing onto the toilet even with a stool, so I got her a potty.if I could I would've skipped that. I didn't use pull ups at all on her, they are just diapers and they are harder for kids to pull up and down then underwear. She was potty trained in just a few days.
momof3angela
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM

my kid's loved this book...

Mommy2justone
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 4:07 PM
Pull ups are bad. We switched to cloth for night time and undies during the day. Just be consistant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)