Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

getting custody of my cousins.

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:24 PM
  • 11 Replies
Well not my cousins but my DH cousins. They are 16 and 12.

A little background... My DH aunt has four kids, she only has custody of 2 and a little over three weeks ago she was evicted from her home. She moved in with her mom and now there are 5 people living in a one bedroom apartment. The kids have not been to school since she lost her house. They will both have to repeat the grades they were currently in if they miss anymore school. They called today to ask if I could bring them dinner cause there was no food in their apartment. The apartment is crowded.

My question is do I try to get custody of them? Or what can I do for them? I feel so bad. The oldest at 16 had found a job and his mom wouldn't drive him to work so he lost it. I took him so he could fill out more applications but has not heard much back yet.

I have the room for the kids. And live in a good public school district. How hard is it to get custody of someone's kids? Also I want to make sure the kids want to come live with me first too. And suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
earthangel1967
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Maybe call communinty mental healht or deparatment of social services or some resource to ask questions about those things and how you go about it etc. See if you can talk to the kids to see how THEY feel though too.

junecrab
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:52 PM

i have some information to help you, message me

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Does your husband want to take on that responsibility?  How old are your children?  While I appreciate your heart, you need to be sure you really want to do that.

jparker289
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 8:46 AM
It was my husbands idea. And my kids are 2 and 7 months

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

Does your husband want to take on that responsibility?  How old are your children?  While I appreciate your heart, you need to be sure you really want to do that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LSurvivor78
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Would the mom allow you to take them? If she can't provide for them, if you talk to her, she may be willing to let them come be with you since you could provide what she can't. if she is worried about her kids wellbeing that is..

jparker289
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:06 AM
She is not worried about them. She doesn't work and is using her mom right now. She could care less if they are in school, she dropped out at 15 and thinks its ok for her kids to do the same. Her son is looking into being emancipated.

Quoting LSurvivor78:

Would the mom allow you to take them? If she can't provide for them, if you talk to her, she may be willing to let them come be with you since you could provide what she can't. if she is worried about her kids wellbeing that is..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3angela
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I'm not sure about the custody issue Jessie but I think it is wonderful that you are helping them out.

Mommy2justone
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:28 PM
If you are worried about their well being call CPS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Quoting earthangel1967:

Maybe call communinty mental healht or deparatment of social services or some resource to ask questions about those things and how you go about it etc. See if you can talk to the kids to see how THEY feel though too.

DeathGoddess
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:31 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)