Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

chore and behavior charts for my 4 year old????

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2011 at 8:26 AM
  • 6 Replies

So I have a four year old gonna be 5 in April and I wanted to start a chore (make bed, pick up toys, take bath, brush teeth etc...) and a behavior chart ( no temper tantrums, no hitting, no talking back etc...) all in one. Does anyone have any ideas how to do so. I was gonna get stickers and if she got so many in a row then she would get  prize. I tried to look online for examples but have yet to find what I want. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks Crystal

by on Mar. 9, 2011 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
cookieman789
by on Mar. 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Actually, we just started almost exactly what you're thinking of doing with our (just turned) four year old.  You can use any kind of board, cork/white board/construction paper.  But we grabbed a large one to put a month's worth of days on it.  This also worked well for teaching her days of the week.  We made squares for each day and at the top created a box that explained what the different color stars were rewards for.  Blue for picking up your room, red for practicing letters, etc.

Then we explained what we expected of her for each task, like a full page of each letter to practice, or picking up all toys and making her bed, etc.  And at the end of the task, if it passes inspection, she gets to put a corresponding star in today's box.

Now, the tricky part is bad behavior.  We simply explained that when she was in trouble enough to be put in time out, she lost a star.  End of story.  And the first time we took a sharpie marker to one of her stars, she had some uncontrollable crying since she was so very proud of her stars.  But she started listening better too.  And on Saturday morning, we count up our stars and if she has the required number, she gets to pick something out of the bag.  We just pick up items from the dollar spot at Target.  And she absolutely loves it.

Hope that helps.  It's worked really well for us so far.  It just takes dedication on the parent's part to follow through to make sure they do activities every day.

clynn10884
by on Mar. 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Yeah that sounds good, im gonna try it thanks

Arwynn
by on May. 22, 2011 at 1:37 AM

With my 5 year old I'm having to do daily rewards so we have a set # of stickers he needs to get per day. If he reaches that set # of stickers at the end of the day he gets to pick out a new toy. (Not expensive toys. I bout a little bag with about 40 soldiers in it and he gets to pick one. When those run out we'll do little dinosaurs or something similar.)

During the week he needs 3/day (mainly because he's in daycare during the day and only home for a few hours before bedtime) and the weekends are 5/day. As we get more and more involved into I will probably add things for how he behaves at daycare but I also have to get daycare to cooperate. 

I also made it a little more positive focused so his reward chart says things like "for every time you say please and thank you" or "for every morning you wake up in your own bed" or "for every time you help pick up your toys". Things like that - of course, those are personalized to what our specific needs are at the moment and somewhat adjustable. 

We also have a list of Rules and their Consequences everything from a 2 minute time out for the "first offense" to a 5 minute time out the 2nd offense to a spanking or having a favorite toy taken away for the rest of the day. Spanking is more for the life-threatening type instances like running into the road or something like that. I'm trying to be proactive and positive but at the same time make my point. 

Now, I can't tell you how it's working because I quite honestly just created the document in Word about 10 minutes ago so it can be implemented first thing in the morning. I'll try and check back again and let you know how it's going. 

Oh, he also gets to pick the sticker that goes on his chart - that's half the fun for him. :D

ceciliam
by Cecilia on May. 22, 2011 at 8:19 AM

I made one for me son a while ago...we actually created it together. I bought a magnetic white board, dry erase markers, little wooden stars, little wooden blocks and magnetic strips. We painted the stars gold and painted little frown faces on the blocks. Then we added the magnetic stripping to the back of the wooden pieces. With this system, I can change the chores and behaviors as often as I want, as he grows and below the chore chart & behavior chart I can leave him little messages:)

We also decided together on what to put on his chore list and what behaviors he needed to work on.

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM

The easiest way would probably be to go to a teacher supply store type thing and get their charts, all the lines are on it and they are the perfect size for the little circle/star stickers.

tbosgirl
by on May. 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

We did the same thing with both my kids. We did a sticker chart. I had to make one myself with clip art and stuff, but the coumn going down contained the days of the week. We made a new one each week. Then across the top were chores (behavior wasn't a big issue, but I think it's a great idea to add to the chart). We started with 3 chores a day, picking up toys before bed, clearing the table after breakfast and again after dinner (they had lunch at school). If they got at least 2 stickers every day, they got a dollar at the end of the week and we would go to the dollar store. After a few months, we added some chores to the chart and after a year or so, we didn't need the chart. We just do an allowance if they do what they are supposed to do. My almost 6yo gets 2 dollars a wekk for her chores and my almost 8yo gets 3 dollars a week because she has started taking the dog out 2 times a day and folding some of her own clothes. It works pretty well. Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)