Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mylanta and cornstarch for diaper rash?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2011 at 3:26 PM
  • 15 Replies

I'd heard about using Mylanta to clear up diaper rash and decided to try it when Triple Paste (my old emergency standby) wasn't completely clearing it up. I dab it on with a cotton ball, let it dry, and cover it with barrier cream per the pediatrician's suggestion. It's working, but slowly. I'm seeing a lot of stuff online raving about the quick results of Mylanta/Maalox with cornstarch, but nothing about how to apply it.

Do you mix the antacid and cornstarch before applying, or add the cornstarch to the diaper after like you would if you used baby powder? If you have any other home remedy you use for diaper rash you're willing to share, I'd love to read about it.

by on Mar. 10, 2011 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starfilled
by on Mar. 10, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Works AWESOME!  You mix a paste.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Mylanta was pulled of the market last year and hasn't returned yet  unfortunately

QueenB36
by Member on Mar. 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I use Aquaphor, its like vasaleen but different and it works wonders for my daughter who has sensitive skin and used to get diaper rashes really bad.

KayDziedzic
by on Mar. 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Quoting starfilled:

Thank you!!! Do you know if the alcohol in the Mylanta irritates the skin if you use it too long? And can you mix some and store it for awhile or does it dry up too fast?

mamakenzi
by Kenzi on Mar. 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I used browned flour.  Take dry flour and brown it in a skillet.  After it cools sprinkle it on like powder.

KayDziedzic
by on Mar. 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Mylanta was pulled of the market last year and hasn't returned yet  unfortunately

I picked up a generic at Target a couple days ago that's "Compare to active ingredients in Regular Strength Mylanta". But I feel better knowing the namebrand wasn't there, that I wasn't just overlooking it with a case of newborn brain. Do you know why they pulled it?

momtoabackc
by on Mar. 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM

I used to use Maalox and Aquaphor.  Equal parts, mixed together.  Some pharmacies are nice enough to mix it for you if you go in and buy it there.

starfilled
by on Mar. 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I actually just mixed it as I needed it.  About a TBSP each.  But now that the other poster mentioned it, I think I did use maalox.  It's been a few years.

Quoting KayDziedzic:

Quoting starfilled:

Thank you!!! Do you know if the alcohol in the Mylanta irritates the skin if you use it too long? And can you mix some and store it for awhile or does it dry up too fast?

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Quoting KayDziedzic:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I picked up a generic at Target a couple days ago that's "Compare to active ingredients in Regular Strength Mylanta". But I feel better knowing the namebrand wasn't there, that I wasn't just overlooking it with a case of newborn brain. Do you know why they pulled it?

I do my DD used to take it daily with her reflux meds.  We are very upset about the whole thing.

Back in November I believe they pulled it off the market claiming that they just needed to rework the label because it didn't list the incredibly small amount of alcohol in the product.  I say claimed because at that time the company told me( yes its so important I actually called the company) that first of the year it would be back.  Now her it is March and still nothing.  I talked to our Pedi and our Pharmacist and they both can't get a straight answer about it.  The pharm every so often tries to order some to no avail.  i was meaning to call the company again as there is no word on their website.  WEIRD such a popular and needed product by so many.  You see its one of the few that don't interact with her prevacid.  :(

KayDziedzic
by on Mar. 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Quoting mamakenzi:

I used browned flour.  Take dry flour and brown it in a skillet.  After it cools sprinkle it on like powder.

All-purpose flour, or do you need to use a specific kind?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured