Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Post -- If you were spanked as a child...

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:24 AM
  • 112 Replies

Ok, we've all heard the *reasons* that non-spankers don't spank. While I respect their decision to NOT spank I feel they should respect my decision TO spank. Quit telling me how much damage I am doing by spanking my child with an open hand on the butt.

Anyhow, for those of you who were spanked (not abused, but spanked):

• Have you ever had to go to counseling due to the emotional scarring?
  • Do you have physical scars from a swat on the butt with an open hand?
  • Are you less smart than your friends who weren't spanked?
  • Are you a violent angry person because you were spanked?
  • Are/were you afraid of your parents? Did you ever feel *terrorized by them?

Again, I am only referring to a swat/spank on the butt with an open hand. I do not need to hear your story of being beaten with a spoon, switch, fist, belt, etc. Those are stories of abuse and do cause all of the things mentioned above.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah824
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I was spanked and I never had any of these issues! My parents are currently my best friends and I respect them with all of my heart. I thank them for being willing to spank me when I needed it.

IncognitoOne
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Same for me.

Quoting sarah824:

I was spanked and I never had any of these issues! My parents are currently my best friends and I respect them with all of my heart. I thank them for being willing to spank me when I needed it.

aamommy2011
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM

i was spanked. i look back and think my mom spanked a little too much, like mostly out of anger.

i dont feel like there were problems with me because of it, except im now a masochist to an extent. but ive had no emotional pain, no counseling, im not violent, ive never been afraid of my mom....

BluEyedCrazy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:33 AM

No, no, I dont think so? lol, hell no and never :) 

sarah824
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:35 AM

LMAO!! :-)

Quoting BluEyedCrazy:

No, no, I dont think so? lol, hell no and never :) 

Rychelle
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:36 AM

i agree with what you said.. I have no issues from my mom and grandma spanking me. i knew not to get out of line because id get spanked so i didnt act up cuz i knew what the consequense was. Im believe in what i call "police parenting" its that little bit of fear.. like when a cop pulls behind you on the road and you keep checking in your mirror and your heart beats alittle quick even though your doing nothing wrong. you know the authority they have and the punishment they can give if you do something wrong. BUT you know that if you were ever in trouble the police will be there to protect you.. thats how i was parented and parent now..

mamakenzi
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM
I was spanked with a belt and never experienced any of those issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aamommy2011
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM

***LIKE***

Quoting Rychelle:

i agree with what you said.. I have no issues from my mom and grandma spanking me. i knew not to get out of line because id get spanked so i didnt act up cuz i knew what the consequense was. Im believe in what i call "police parenting" its that little bit of fear.. like when a cop pulls behind you on the road and you keep checking in your mirror and your heart beats alittle quick even though your doing nothing wrong. you know the authority they have and the punishment they can give if you do something wrong. BUT you know that if you were ever in trouble the police will be there to protect you.. thats how i was parented and parent now..

sweettigeress
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:42 AM

No to all. I was mostly spanked with an open hand but I do recall a few times when I got the belt. And I honestly don't see how children who aren't spanked are smarter than those who are? Where does that even come into play? 

liteofmine71
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:42 AM
  • Have you ever had to go to counseling due to the emotional scarring?
  • Do you have physical scars from a swat on the butt with an open hand?
  • Are you less smart than your friends who weren't spanked?
  • Are you a violent angry person because you were spanked?
  • Are/were you afraid of your parents? Did you ever feel *terrorized by them?

1) not directly related, however, i have been to couseling and i do think i was emotionally scarred and it affected many areas of my life.

2) no physical scars

3) i don't know...probably...hmm maybe just less confident?

4) i don't think so...but i do think that resentment is definately built up over the shame felt by spanking and the non-aknowledgement from the spankers (m & d) today.

5) yes, absolutely. still,even today, i am almost 40.  it just takes a look, a feeling of self-doubt to make me fearful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)