Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To moms with cats! I need advice.

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:13 PM
  • 15 Replies

So a stray cat adopted us and 2 weeks ago she had kittens. She was an outdoor cat before and she had fleas. We put some flea stuff on her and it seemed to get rid of them at first but I guess not because she still had them once the kittens were born. Now the poor kittens have fleas and I am not sure how to get them off of them because they are so little. And we can't give the mama kitty any flea stuff either because of her breastfeeding them. My husband asked a vet what things we could use for them and they said the skin-so-soft lotion from Avon. And our apartment has a bug spraying service that is here once a week so they could come in and spray to get them off the carpets and all that.

Did any of you ever have this problem and what did you use to help get rid of fleas without using flea medicines?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pregnancy%20ticker
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calimommy1021
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:16 PM

BUMP!

woodit2u
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:17 PM

bump, not sure.

bbmkfo03
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:18 PM

In college my cat got fleas and we had to bomb our entire dorm room, it took all night to clean everything.  And I don't think a PG woman can be around that stuff or kittens for that matter.

MrsMWF
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I would use whatever the vet says is safe.

LovelyLauren55
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Bath them in dawn and pick the fleas off them, this happened to my kitten too, she was 3 weeks old, it worked like a charm, and she hasnt had fleas since! 

Also, try to quarentine the kittens as much as possible so they dont spread throughout the house, we kept our kitten in the bathroom, good luck! :)

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:21 PM
my dog got fleas from a friends house and i found out if u use baby shampoo it kills them but u have to comb the animal to get them all out even if they r dead. i hope u get rid of the fleas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RayneStorm3
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I rescue and have for years.  Last year I ended up with a momma and kits as well.  I bought a flea comb from the pet store and just washed the kittens in johnsons baby shampoo and warm water.  It was warmer weather so I would wash a kitten then take it outside in the towel and comb through the fur with  the flea comb.  Most of the fleas were gone.  Once the kittens hit about 10-12 weeks I invested in flea collars for all of them and flea bombed my house one day.  No fleas since. 

I ended up rescuing a cat with a flea allergy now.  Flea control is a pretty intense thing in my house.  Some people told me to put boric acid in the crease of my door before the warm weather got here but as a mom of three and babysitting younger kids I took a friends idea and put baking powder in the creases by my doors and windows.  It worked.  I was just sweeping and putting more down once a week during the summer because somehow fleas trying to get into the house got trapped in it.

Good Luck. 

calimommy1021
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Pregnant women can be around cats and kittens and it's safe. As long as we don't clean out the litter box because the chemcials from the litter and the urine are bad for me to inhale. But my husband always cleans out the litter box so I don't have to worry about it. And he cleans it regularly so I odn't have to smell the litter box either. That's like saying any pregnant woman can't own cats lol.

Quoting bbmkfo03:

In college my cat got fleas and we had to bomb our entire dorm room, it took all night to clean everything.  And I don't think a PG woman can be around that stuff or kittens for that matter.

Pregnancy%20ticker
calimommy1021
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Thanks for all the advice ladies! We have some Dawn dishsoap and some baby shampoo so I am going to try that and see if it works. I know they won't like the bath but I feel so bad for them and the mama kitty with all those nasty fleas! And I think we will schedule the bug spray people to come in and spray our apartment too to get rid of them on the carpets.

Pregnancy%20ticker
sweettigeress
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:58 PM

not sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)