Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms who had to give up a pet...i need some words of encouragement

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:31 PM
  • 3 Replies

We have a 3 1/2  year old cockapoo. He is very attached to me and wont leave my side, but now that we have 2 kids, a 2 year old and 10month old, he is getting really aggressive towards the kids. They pick on him and bug him and he snaps at them, I know that it is not his fault and I try to discipline the kids to leave him alone, but they dont understand fully. But the dog is so attached that he wont leave me so therefore he wont leave the room the kids are in when they bug him, he just stays there, he bit both of them on the hand already and drew blood from the 2 year old. I need to find him a new home, but I feel so guilty in doing so, but he is a danger to the kids and they have to come first. He needs to be in home without small children and with someone who can give their time to him that he needs and wants. I just need some words of encouragement.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
momof3angela
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Hang in there momma...we had to give up our dog after a tree fell on our house and she just became too much for us to care for as we had to live in a hotel.  Your dog is part of your family but since the kid's are at risk I know you know it is the best thing for them.  It is not going to be easy but it is the right thing to do.  I hope you find a great family for your dog.  hugs

Beth_1978
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Usually I disagree with people giving away a pet, which to me is a family member. However, your situation is different. Let's put it this way, if your father was living with you and one day he just kicked your lo across the room, he would have to go right? The dog is dangerous to your children. Make sure the dog goes to a home without kids, and be HONEST, about what the dog has been doing. You want the dog to go to maybe an elderly man or woman who has no grandchildren coming over.

Beth_1978
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Or an elderly couple, or a confirmed bachelor, or a single woman with no plans on marriahe or kids, that sort of thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)