Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TO: Families with a parent working far away from home...1 week on 1 week off.

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

How is it working for you with kids ect?

My So got a job offer 4hrs away that would mean him staying there for 7 days and home for 7 days. The money is good....really good. He is more of a need to be by my side all the time type guy and I am more of a can be alone for a few days kind of a gal. he is very sensitive and me not so much.

our kids:

SD 15 - lives w.mom/friends - visits our home about 2x a month when she feels like it.

SS- 10 comes EOW (we drive 3hrs to get him and return him to his "mothers")

DD- 2 lives with us 24/7

muffinI like cupcakes and muffins :)

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM

You and your hubby sound like me and mine.  I love the freedom of being alone and it makes me happy when he comes home cause by then I usually miss him....LOL  We have always had some kind of gone schedule though.  Right now it is at its worse with him gone a few weeks and only home a couple days.  He is waiting to go back to oil field which for him will be 15 on 6 off.  perfect!!!  Eventually we hope someday he will come home every night but that would take some getting used to as the whole 8-9 years I have know him its been this way.  Our DD is 2 and doesn't know any different.  She is going to love the 6 days in a row though.  my best suggestion is unlimted phone service.  congrats on the new job!!

AudrasMommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM

My husband doesn't stay away through the week but he does work a couple hours away.  By the time he gets home from work he's got enough time to shower, scarf down dinner and go to sleep.  He does this 6 days a week.  It sucks.  I feel like I have no help.  I have a 7y/o sd that lives with us full time, who's going through a phase where she thinks every body owes her something and everything is always a fight...whether it be, get your homework done, clean your room, stop talking back.  I have a 4y/o dd who is starting follow in sd's footsteps.  I also have an 8month old who is permanently attached to me.  Dh makes too good of money to find a closer, less demanding job.  One pay check can take care of 80% of our bills and he gets paid weekly.

QueenB36
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:48 PM

currently he is a SAHD and I work away from home (only 30 min away) monday - friday.

Shellness
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Once you get used to it, you will learn to enjoy it! Its like a vacation sometimes, especially when your kids get older. You will be cooking less, etc...

QueenB36
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Quoting Shellness:

Once you get used to it, you will learn to enjoy it! Its like a vacation sometimes, especially when your kids get older. You will be cooking less, etc...

hahahahahaha and I was just mad over the weekend because So ate almost a whole meatloaf for midnight snack.....and he says i shouldnt be mad because he "only made one sandwich with it"

muffinI like cupcakes and muffins :)

lioness3e
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:42 PM
I'm a single mom doing this. It works for us.This year my 20 yo and 19 yo old stays with my 17 yo. This next school year my youngest will finish her senior year up here while I work in Oh. I work 6 hours away. So she'll be with my parents. I'll be away two weeks at a time. We make it work. I have to go where the work is at.Its not here in MI. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenB36
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 2:03 PM

BUMP

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)